Daiichi 1220

dillon

Reaction score
In November I was given several sample packages of Daiichi dry fly hooks by a member of their pro staff at a fly tying expo. Last night, I finally sat down at the bench to work on refilling the pmd box. Upon pulling out a package of new sz 16 hooks, I noticed a slight curve in the shank. Not paying any attention when they were handed to me, I now took a closer look. They are designed by Darrel Martin with a sproat bend, upturned tapered shank and a slight down-eye. Hmm, pretty cute I thought to myself, never seen this shank before. After tying a thorax dun on the hook, I could barely notice the upturn in the thorax, but in my imagination, it kind of looks like the fly is a bug arching its back in readiness to take off. Anyone ever ty on these hooks, or see any merit in them over a standard straight shank?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Those have been around a long time. Yes, I've tied some dry flies on them, but not a hook I've used a lot since I don't tie a lot of dry flies anyway. I can't say if the design is any better or worse than a standard type dry fly hook. Darrell Martin is an accomplished angler & writer, but everyone has their likes & dislikes about hooks. Tie your flies & fish them & see for yourself, that's the best way to evaluate them IMO. ;)

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
My PMD pattern of choice is the old sparkle dun with a trailing shuck. This looks like it would be a great hook for that or a similar emerges since I like to have the abdomen in the surface film.

Thanks fo posting.

Don

dillon

Reaction score
Don,
The Sparkle Dun is a great pmd pattern. I carry several with different colored tails. I also like (even more) comparaduns with split micro fibett tails. I tried a float test in my guppy tank this morning of sparkle duns tied on both the 1220 and a standard straight shank daiichi dry fly hook. Both were treated with fly floatant. Viewed from beneath, the curved shank clearly broke the meniscus, whereas the standard hook did not. The guppies did not seem to show a preference, but perhaps a finicky surface feeding trout will...

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I have been putting a little bend in both my dry and nymph hooks for some time. I got the idea from the book "Fly fishing Pressured Water" by L. Gonzalez. (A really good book). I use a vice with open jaws or smooth jaws pliers to tweak the hook.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This looks like an interesting hook and I like its proportions and bend shape too. I hope you didn't expose the guppies to too chemical a flaotant, silicone should be alright though. Dry flies? It's snowing outside my window.

knotjoe

Reaction score
I use a vice with open jaws or smooth jaws pliers to tweak the hook.
I like the smooth jaw (cone nose jewelry) pliers for the task myself.

Surprised Daiichi went as far as to make this a specific model, the slight bend itself is a pretty easy one to do to most any hook. They must get something out of having a "named designed" model in the line-up even if it's just subtle changes.

Cool tie and photo of it, love the background. Good tank test, the upturn idea apparently works for the purpose intended.

ts47

Reaction score
I did a Google search. The Daiichi Darrel Martin dry fly hooks are apparently sold as a 1220 (bronze) and 1222 (Silver), if anyone has a preference. They appear to be the same hook otherwise.

flav

Reaction score
I was given a couple packs of those hooks by a guy at a tying event years ago. I tied up a couple flies on them but never used them. The hook gap seemed small and the bend in the shank made it look like it'd be easy for a fish to either bend out the hook or just come unpinned, so I didn't trust them. I never used the flies, and quickly tossed them. I tossed the hooks eventually too. It I want to tie a fly with a curved body there are other options using hooks I trust.