If you could fish only two perdigons?

saflyfish

Reaction score
Im just getting into tying perdigon nymphs but there are literally hundreds of different color combinations.
I want to choose two that would cover 90% of my euro nymphing situations.
What would you guys choose?

thank you

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Why?The whole point of them is they are easy to tie and have limitless color combinations.

That said: My go to is olive with a orange hot spot but I have 10-20 different combinations.

step-6-perdigon-nymph.jpg

quimby

Reaction score
Like Otto, my go to would be some kind of olive pattern. The great thing about Perdigons is that you can easily customize them. I have tied the basic olive pattern with different hot spot colors, hot spot at the tail instead of color, added a rib, krystal flash for the body, etc. With just one basic pattern you can have so many variations.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Probably (1) olive, gold rib, fluorescent orange collar, copper bead and (2) black, silver rib, fluorescent orange or fluorescent purple collar, silver bead. Although to be honest I haven't fished perdigons very often. These are just good colors in general for other styles of nymph, so I figure they must be good for perdigons too.

saflyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.
What is the consensus on which is the best uv resin to use for perdigons?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
What is the consensus on which is the best uv resin to use for perdigons?
I don't think there is any consensus. Different people prefer different products. Some of us like the resin that our felllow forum member Silver Creek occasionally offers, because it cures to a hard rather than tacky finish. Some like formulations with thinner or thicker viscosity.

A lot of uv resins darken with age. That probably matters more for colorful flies than for dull or dark flies. But you don't have to use uv resin anyway. Clear lacquer or nail polish works just as well (although you have to wait longer for it to dry) and won't darken. I've used Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails on the ones I've tied.

wf0

Reaction score
If I had two colors it would be:
1) lighter olive base, with a white thread rib, and black or fl.orange collar, with gold, silver, or black bead
2) darker brown base, with a white thread rib, fl.orange or fl.pink collar, copper or black bead.

I like to have both flashy/hotspot and natural/dull variants of each.
Stand out vs fit in.

3) Third place would be a butano - uv yellow-orange flash base, fl.orange collar, gold or copper bead.

4) As others have stated, why stop there? I'm all for minimalism, but two? How about five, or seven? If you are limiting yourself to two, why deviate from classic PT and HE color combos?

5) black zebra midge with silver rib, red flash or chartreuse hotspot, and silver or black bead.

6) rainbow warrior flash over red base, no rib, red collar, silver bead.

7) fl.chartreuse base, black collar, silver or black bead.

8) I feel the need for a cream-colored variant to round things out, tan or brown thread rib, fl.chartruese or black collar, silver or black bead.

9) the extra mile would be a peacock or blue tinsel body with black, brown, or fl.purple collar, silver or black bead.

Last edited:

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
why tie them ... just buy some ice fishing jigs at a tackle shop. I understand the concept fishing these flies as they are designed to sink rapidly in faster currents. The flies color serve as a attractor to draw attention and provoke a reactionary strike. They do look neat However, I prefer a little hackle or cdc added to these style nymphs as it adds movement.

Last edited: