Fly Jig Hook Recommendation

Tracker12

Reaction score
Just picked up an Orvis Recon 10' 4wt to try out Euro nymphing. Wanting to tie up some flies using the jig style barbless hooks. Can I get a brand recommendation.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I have used a couple brands, but my next purchase wil be a variety of Allen Flyfishing hooks. They look pretty decent and the prices ar good as well.

They are a sponsor on here and I just got an email that they are running a 20 percent off sale on hooks and bead this weekend. You will want some slotted tungsten beads to go with the hooks. It bugs me that the brands I see at the fly shops sell the hooks in packages of 15 and the beads in packs of 10.

But Allen has a good reputation and I’m ready to get a variety of hooks and beads there this weekend.

I like Orvis hooks a lot, but have not used their jig hooks. Their Klinkhammer style hooks are good as are their Big Eye hooks. I can’t imagine that their jig hooks would be lacking, but I’m sure thy will cost more than the ones from Allen.

Don

karstopo

Reaction score
Gamakatsu Fishing Hooks > Fly Fishing > Jig Nymph Hook J20 Series

Gamakatsu hooks are a favorite of mine, but I don’t normally tie anything below a size 10. Their hooks seem to always be sharp out of the box, have the right temper ( not too soft or brittle), and the finish is smooth and durable.

I haven’t used their barbless. Their barbed hooks, the ones I’ve bought, have tiny barbs and are the best barbs I’ve come across. Some other hook makers have hooks I like and ones I don’t as much, but I can’t think of a Gamakatsu hook I haven’t liked.

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm using the Gamakatsu J20 jig nymph barbless hooks. Strong and sharp right out of the packet!

Tying size 14's with the Hairline slotted tungsten beads 3.3mm.

Denny

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Even if you are ordering jig hooks from elsewhere, you might still want to order the slotted tungsten beads from Allen Flyfishing with their sale this weekend, No I have nothing to do with the company other than as an observer and customer.

And they are out of stock on the 14 and 16 jig hooks anyway. But the slotted beads are a pretty good buy even without this weekend’s 20 percent off sale.

Just a thought.

Don

clsmith131

Reaction score
Of the hooks I have used so far, I like "Fire Hole" the best. They are a little less than some of the others, and I really like the shapes of their offerings. They tend to have a nice wide gape conducive to adding beads, and exaggerated points. They come in 36, 50 or 100 packs.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I've only used the Firehole and the Allen jig hooks but I like both. The firehole hooks have a longer jig bend but a shorter straight shank. I prefer the shape of their gap and the long, thin taper on their tip. That said I get a better proportion fly to the size out of the Allen hooks. In other words an Allen 14 jig ties like a size 14 nymph but the bead doesn't offset as far as on the firehole.

The firehole has a better jig action but I find I often need to tie down a half to a whole size. In other words, My size 14 flies end up having a body more of a 16 but the gape of almost a 12.

Overall I like both and I just have to compensate mentally.

Hokie.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Yeah, I was disappointed that the 14 and 16 jig hooks weren’t in stock when I made my order. But even if you buy hooks elsewhere, it’s worth it just for the slotted tungsten beads.

Don

alexs

Reaction score
After going through pretty much all the available brands, I think the best for the $$$ are the Hanak Competition (I think they are the same hooks as the Tiemco Competition, just different label on the box). In larger sizes (#14 and up), almost any brand will work (don't buy anything that is advertised as "thin wire). My second favorites are the Fulling Mill. Orvis is good when you have a discount coupon.
The difference between them is felt in the small sizes (#16 and smaller)
I buy hooks in Europe, usually in fall, to get ready for the winter fly tying . It takes 2-4 weeks to arrive, and shipping is on the costly side. But I buy larger quantities (hundreds, sometimes over a thousand) and the shipping cost gets spread out. It costs me about $6 per box of Hanaks.
Just for experimentation, I suggest Fulling Mill.

Cheers

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Can you explain why we should avoid “thin wire” hooks. I’m not doubting you, it is just something I don’t know about. I am relatively new to tying on jig hooks and just ordered some from Allen that are thin wire.

Thanks for filling us in on the details.

Don

karstopo

Reaction score
Can you explain why we should avoid “thin wire” hooks. I’m not doubting you, it is just something I don’t know about. I am relatively new to tying on jig hooks and just ordered some from Allen that are thin wire.

Thanks for filling us in on the details.

Don
There is an upside to thin wire. One, if you do get a snag, you can often bend open the hook, if the temper allows it, and free the fly providing your tippet is up to it. I feel like I know at what point certain hooks will open up and then I can manage the pressure I put on the hook, whether it be joined to a fish or snag. Secondly, thin wire, all other things being equal, I believe goes into flesh like fish lips and tissues with less force than thicker wire. I believe I have evidence that thin wire hooks work better on many species in that you get a better hook set and better retention.

Not all hooks have the same strength and temper nor use the same steel or manufacturing processes. Gamakatsu SC-15 hooks are incredibly thin wire hooks considering the fish they are expected to take, but I’ve never had one fail. I’ve had much thicker wire hooks from a different maker open up on the same class of fish using the same pressure during the fight.

In a perfect world, I’d chose thin wire hooks on nearly all of the fish I go for. I do not have much experience with cold water trout so there might be something fundamentally different about them. But I’m always looking for the thinnest wire hook available for a particular fish that will be just strong enough to have a good chance to set well and land the fish in the particular conditions of the setting.

Think about it this way. A very thin sharp needle or razor goes in or cuts with very little force. A much thicker blade or point requires much more force to part flesh. My experience with hooks mirrors this.

colonelklinkhammer

Reaction score
The orvis jig hook is great, Allen’s were decent I got some tiemco and the slotted beads wouldn’t slide the the eye, I bought a pile of firehole sticks and love them for nymphs streamers and dries I can’t wait to try there new jig hooks

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Allen Flyfishing is still out of stock on their nymph jig hooks in the medium sizes. But they ar having another 20 percent off on beads sale this weekend. Their price on slotted tungsten beads is the best I have seen anywhere even without the discount. Worth checking if you tie many patterns using those beads.

Don

NWADrew

Reaction score
I get mine from Jeremy Hunt at Fly’s and Guides in Branson, MO. Have caught a lot of fish on hit megaworm and egg patterns tied on these hools.