Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fly Jig Hook Recommendation

Just picked up an Orvis Recon 10' 4wt to try out Euro nymphing. Wanting to tie up some flies using the jig style barbless hooks. Can I get a brand recommendation.

Default Re: Fly Jig Hook Recommendation

I have used a couple brands, but my next purchase wil be a variety of Allen Flyfishing hooks. They look pretty decent and the prices ar good as well.

They are a sponsor on here and I just got an email that they are running a 20 percent off sale on hooks and bead this weekend. You will want some slotted tungsten beads to go with the hooks. It bugs me that the brands I see at the fly shops sell the hooks in packages of 15 and the beads in packs of 10.

But Allen has a good reputation and I’m ready to get a variety of hooks and beads there this weekend.

I like Orvis hooks a lot, but have not used their jig hooks. Their Klinkhammer style hooks are good as are their Big Eye hooks. I can’t imagine that their jig hooks would be lacking, but I’m sure thy will cost more than the ones from Allen.

Don

I get mine from tactical flyfisher. I really like his orientsun hooks with the upturned point.

I am kind of partial to these hooks:

They have a good selection of Jig Hooks but many of their other hooks are well suited to Euro Nymphing and other styles of nymphing:

Barbless HooksHanak Competition | Hanak, spol. s r.o.

I get mine here:

Fly Tying Hooks | Fly Fishing Hooks Bob Marriott's

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Gamakatsu Fishing Hooks > Fly Fishing > Jig Nymph Hook J20 Series

Gamakatsu hooks are a favorite of mine, but I don’t normally tie anything below a size 10. Their hooks seem to always be sharp out of the box, have the right temper ( not too soft or brittle), and the finish is smooth and durable.

I haven’t used their barbless. Their barbed hooks, the ones I’ve bought, have tiny barbs and are the best barbs I’ve come across. Some other hook makers have hooks I like and ones I don’t as much, but I can’t think of a Gamakatsu hook I haven’t liked.

6. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm using the Gamakatsu J20 jig nymph barbless hooks. Strong and sharp right out of the packet!

Tying size 14's with the Hairline slotted tungsten beads 3.3mm.

Denny

8. Likes karstopo liked this post

Always been a fan of Gamakatsu hooks. Guess I will give the J20 a try.

10. Likes dennyk liked this post

Even if you are ordering jig hooks from elsewhere, you might still want to order the slotted tungsten beads from Allen Flyfishing with their sale this weekend, No I have nothing to do with the company other than as an observer and customer.

And they are out of stock on the 14 and 16 jig hooks anyway. But the slotted beads are a pretty good buy even without this weekend’s 20 percent off sale.

Just a thought.

Don

Of the hooks I have used so far, I like "Fire Hole" the best. They are a little less than some of the others, and I really like the shapes of their offerings. They tend to have a nice wide gape conducive to adding beads, and exaggerated points. They come in 36, 50 or 100 packs.

13. Default Re: Fly Jig Hook Recommendation

I've only used the Firehole and the Allen jig hooks but I like both. The firehole hooks have a longer jig bend but a shorter straight shank. I prefer the shape of their gap and the long, thin taper on their tip. That said I get a better proportion fly to the size out of the Allen hooks. In other words an Allen 14 jig ties like a size 14 nymph but the bead doesn't offset as far as on the firehole.

The firehole has a better jig action but I find I often need to tie down a half to a whole size. In other words, My size 14 flies end up having a body more of a 16 but the gape of almost a 12.

Overall I like both and I just have to compensate mentally.

Hokie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast