Wet Fly Help For Michigan Rivers

dennyk

Reaction score
Need some suggestions for wet flies. I haven't tied any up in years and would appreciate some direction. Since we have an ice storm on the way should be able to get a few tied up this weekend. Targeting stream trout.

Thank You!

Denny

jr spey

Reaction score
Need some suggestions for wet flies. I haven't tied any up in years and would appreciate some direction. Since we have an ice storm on the way should be able to get a few tied up this weekend.

Thank You!

Denny
Trout, steelhead, smallies?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Soft Hackles are your friend. Easy to tie, great wet fly presentation and trout love them.

I would maybe suggest the Sparrow where you are at but I have never been to that part of the woods.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Partridge and Yellow, Partridge and Peacock, Partridge and Pheasant tail. These combos of soft hackle and body will catch trout in rivers everywhere.

jr spey

Reaction score
If you mean true wet flies rather than nymphs, etc. I think you've been given some great advice. I even use soft hackles for steelhead on occasions, in a slightly larger size than I usually use for trout.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Regular hen hackles work also for these flies and are sometimes more varied in colors and sizes. My favorite soft hackle is hare’s ear dubbing with gold wire rib and mottled brown hen hackle.

But they are all good. You do want to keep them sparse for best results.

Don