Crayfish pattern...

burns

Reaction score
I just started fishing a stream called the Patuxent in Maryland. There are LOADS of crayfish in there, big ones, and it is where the Patuxent Special was invented. Does anyone know of any other specifically good crayfish patterns that I might want to try there?

Gracias.

Joni

Reaction score
I tie one that is a MULTI TASKING fly. Very easy, but I am sure it has been taken as a Crawfish when fished off the bottom and a BROWN when fished in the middle/sub-surface.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Burns,

I haven't fished them but here are a couple from Kaufmann's. If Whitlock designed it I bet it works. The Hogan's Puff is an interesting tye. Look where he put the eyes.

Frank

Whitlock's Crayfish

Hogan's Puff Clawdad

burns

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. Frank, that first Whitlock pattern looks like a good resemblance of the crayfish in Patuxent - I'll look into that one.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 1273

This is called The Moose Mane Crayfish, the instructions would be found in the September 1980 Fly Fisherman Magazine. The issue regards fly fishing in Maine. You might want to check their archives for the pattern. It would take me for ever to try to explain the tie.

You can adopt any color to it that you need and if you're looking for one that looks real when dragged across the bottom this will do.

Good Luck

Attachments

Joni

Reaction score
SWEET TIE! (does it come in foam.....just kidding)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
No but the wrap on the abdomen section is the old swannundaze plastic!!!

I actually did some using natural dyed raffia to replace the plastic but even when coated with tough feather they didn't hold up well to the teeth of the trout.

This one is old but has been fished. Some of the others have lost their pheasant tail legs.

I found them a nightmare to cast. The hooks are wrapped with lead.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I've tied a bunch of these lately. From the "Winter" Fly Tyer Magazine.

Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - The River Knight

They are very realistic. They are easier to tie than it appears. One of the things that made it easier for me was super gluing eyes, etc until I could coat it with epoxy. Head cement made it easier to shape the claws once I clipped out the end of the feather. I also did a little coloring of the foam with a sharpie since it was going to get a coat of epoxy anyway.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Darn Jimmy!

That is really real.................. better than the Moose Mane Crayfish of old.

P.S. Now you must posta picture of one of yours..................................

Jimmie

Reaction score
OK. I'm not very good with pictures.
[/IMG]

The one on the left is in a dome jar. I showed the guys at our FF Club. They thought it would be nice to put in a dome jar for our auction so I'm donating it.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thanks ARD. I just saw your "Moose Mane Crayfish" this morning. I don't know how I missed it. I like it a lot. Neat Crayfish.