Dumb fly substitution question

lacanadio

Reaction score
I'm in mosquitoville, otherwise known as Grand Mesa. I don't have any mosquito patterns, and the local shops don't have any either. So...what's a good substitute pattern that's close? TIA.

ddb

Reaction score
Tied very sparse -- except in Texas where you double all the standard materials. (grin)
ddb

flav

Reaction score
Mosquitos are basically the same thing as midges. I would think any little dark colored midge imitation would imitate them just fine.

fishgolf

Reaction score
A size 18-20 Griffiths Nat is a good option as well. I just recently started tying a new midge pattern for work here on the Ruby River in spring. Peacock-herl body (single strand) with a silver/grey palmered hackle 3/4 length. Nuttin-fancy, but works well.

flytie09

Reaction score
When I lived in Upstate NY....it's the first fly dry fly I used. They are plentiful on a warm summer night.

If you can't find it local....tie your own or look online.

Mosquito TheFlyStop.com

It's a simple pattern. A grizzly cape and peacock herls is all that is required.

ft09

redietz

Reaction score
It's a simple pattern. A grizzly cape and peacock herls is all that is required.
You don't even need the herl. A stripped grizzly quill works perfectly.

I've caught a lot of fish on that pattern, but never thought it looked like an actual mosquito. Real ones don't have upright wings, and they don't float down streams (they lay eggs in and emerge from still water.)

Effective nevertheless.

flytie09

Reaction score
I've caught a lot of fish on that pattern, but never thought it looked like an actual mosquito. Real ones don't have upright wings, and they don't float down streams (they lay eggs in and emerge from still water.)
Great observation redietz. You know I always assumed since I was getting eaten alive, trout were rising and there was no obvious hatch, I assumed they were eating mosquitoes in those NY streams.

And you're right....a mosquito Catskill dry fly looks little like the real thing. Neither does a Chubby Chernobyl Ant....luckily for us all fish are curious and hungry.