Who makes premium flys?

proheli

Reaction score
Howdy.

When I google premium flys I get all the big box brands (.50 to $3.00 a fly - like a 14 Parachute Adams), and then sometimes I get the real artists ($100) a fly, but I can't really tell if anyone is making/selling a genuine premium fly, out of nicers materiels or a better looking fly.

I'm making a small display case for the wall behind my desk and wan't to put about 10 flys in it. Its okay if they cost $5-10, even $15 each if they are a litte nicer looking or more realistic looking.

TIA

PS. Yes I did a search.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Depends on the type of flies you're interested in. I tie commercially, and like to think that I tie premium flies, but of course some types I do better than others. I tie more bass & saltwater patterns than anything else, and about the only type I don't tie are full dress featherwing Salmon patterns. I tie "fishing" flies, but have done some for display a few times.

There are various tyers around who specialize in specific types of flies. If you wanted deerhair bugs for example, someone like Pat Cohen I would highly recommend.

I know many excellent tyers. :D

rusty 54

Reaction score
In Michigan, there are usually at least a couple of fly tying shows or expos. Tyers show off their best work. Check with your local T.U. or FFF chapters

denver1911

Reaction score
I would suggest you give Jerry's (aka hairwing530) flies a try, send him a pm, you won't be disappointed in the quality nor the quantity of flies you receive.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...2919-2017-2018-miracle-xl-30.html#post1222714
The flies I received from Jerry were of excellent construct and well suited for fishing. I would not, however, call them premium quality suitable for a display box. No disrespect intended to him, but I just don’t see the OPs need as his market.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've tied "display" flies when I've been asked to do it. It's not something I do on a regular basis. IMO, most anyone who ties a good quality fly can tie for display, it's just an matter of attitude and upping the game.

Years ago, I sent a shadow box to an auction for charity in Key West, the Red Bone, that consisted of popular saltwater patterns. I got some excellent comments back, and was told the box was sold for over $300.

I also tied some display Tarpon flies for a guide, who was giving them to members of a prestigious fishing club in FL. Again the comments returned were very good.

I've tied a display of popular nymphs, streamers and wet flies too for another fellow, that were also auctioned to raise money for a TU chapter. That one was small and the other fellow mounted them in the shadow box. Again, good comments came back to me.

As I said, I can and do tie most anything, and have never had a dissatisfied customer, but it will depend on the type of fly whether my flies would be the best choice for display. If you're looking for dry flies, or some other popular trout patterns, Jerry ties many more of them than I do or likely will, so I would have no problem recommending him for those types of flies.

I also mentioned that I know many excellent tyers. Jerry would be included in that list! ;)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I'm just getting back to this thread and am a bit surprised there's not been more replies.

Proheli, it would help if you replied with what it is you're looking for, beyond simply "premium". What type of flies do you want?

There's some other excellent tyers here too, like Planettrout or flytire. Don't know if either would be interested in your endeavor, but both are some of the best tyers around, both tie a variety of fly types, and both have posted pics numerous times of their beautiful flies! :thumbsup:

proheli

Reaction score

Proheli, it would help if you replied with what it is you're looking for, beyond simply "premium". What type of flies do you want?

Hello Guys.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to this thread a little sooner. Thank you for answering and offering up your services. I wasn't actually planning on anything fancy, its just that when I visit fly stores as I travel around, a few have had REALLY nice flys, like Blue Ridge Outfiters in Chattanooga, or South Platte Fly FIshing in Woodland Park, CO. Ovis seems hit and miss, and then others don't seem quite as attractive or life like. My money is now going in several diferent directions (without me apparently) so I won't be doing anything imediately, but it would probably be, parachute adams, hairs ear nymph, copper john in a bright color, a royal wulf, and a yellow humpy, or any other suggestiong the tyer thought might look good.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

proheli

Reaction score
Jerry was very gracious and offered to tie some flys for me so I could see his work, and then I replied, lets just do the original idea so I will pay for them. The Flag Display fly that honyuk96 makes is obviously really nice, but I basically want extra nice versions of the same ones that I would fish, even though I probably won't ever fish them because I still lose too many flys to spend $5-10 a fly. :) When these arrive I'll take some pics and post them so you guys can check them out.

Cheers