Terrestrials

hollisd

Reaction score
I'm looking for tiers who specialize in terrestrials. With hoppers especially it doesn't feel right to fish something that doesn't inspire me.

In short, I'm looking for the Mike Schmidt of terrestrials — Mike's streamers slay and I haven't seen anybody who knocks terrestrials out of the park.

I bought some bugs at Yellowstone Angler this summer and the hoppers in particular were beautiful but I lost a fly box on the water a few weeks ago so my hoppers, beetles, and san juan worms are MIA

It might be as easy as figuring out who ties for Orvis for I know Mike has a contract with them and their flies are pretty safe though I'm not familiar with their terrestrials.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I can't think of any tyer who really specializes in terrestrials, but I also don't understand the compulsion you have. As much as I like the look of some of the patterns today, and appreciate creativity, particularly hoppers, IMO, simple patterns often are the best choice for terrestrials.

I seem to recall a set of flies that Orvis was selling awhile back, terrestrial patterns of a particular tyers "design", but don't remember who that was.

My favorite hopper is a Triple Decker, tied is a few color combinations. I tie a cricket in the same manner. I've also used some stonefly adult patterns as hoppers and in the past I used the "Letort" patterns quite a bit. What we believe we see and what any fish we target may see, might not be the same thing.

Beetles, worms & ants pretty much round out what I've always used when terrestrials were the main course. Never saw any sense in tying them in any manner other than simple. It seems however, that some tyers are always trying to re-invent the wheel. :icon_roll

I've bought some Orvis flies in the past, and found them to be tied very well. But again, IMO many flies sold by various sources such as Orvis have much more "bling" than is necessary to catch fish. But, I guess they have to catch the eye of the angler first. ;)

hollisd

Reaction score
Kelly Galloup's terrestrials at the Slide Inn shop are exactly what I'm looking for. The tying and attention to detail are the kind of bugs I enjoy fishing. I love his articulated streamers but he's hit some terrestrials out of the park especially the hoppers.

Terrestrials and Attractors