Mop Fly colors/sizes

AWS

Reaction score
What sizes and colors are best if fishing the streams of eastern NY State and western Connecticut? I want to tie some up but all of the tying videos seem to limit themselves to tan and don't mention any other colors.

flytie09

Reaction score
I would say try tan, chartreuse, brown, black and pink if you wanted to play with the mop fly devil magic. Just wear garlic around your neck, sprinkle holy water around your house and sacrifice a goat first.

:flame:

jspfishing

Reaction score
All I do is chartreuse with a black ice dub collar on a size 10 barbless jig hook with a 3.8mm slotted tungsten bead

photoguy

Reaction score
The one that I bought recently on the Farmington was tan. I lost mine right away but my buddy caught on his first few casts. And fyi, there is a mop fly thread going on in case you want to check it out.

philly

Reaction score
In my case the garlic, holy water and sacrificing a goat didn't work. Although the garlic did add a bit of flavor to the goat when I cooked it. For trout mini-mops tied on a size 10 or 12 barbless caddis pupae hook. Black bead head and a collar of black or peacock micro sparkle chenille. Colors, Chartreuse works the best, pink, red and orange follow. I also tie, using the "standard" size mop piece, for trout and pan fish on size 8 hooks, the mop piece is about a 1/2 inch long. Same colors as above, same style. It goes down hill from there. I use pieces from 1 inch to 2 1/2 inches long for pan fish and bass flies. Same basic style. Bead head and a sparkle chenille or estaz color. I also have a floating version for top water action. Colors change up a bit. White, yellow and chartreuse are the top producers. As mentioned there is thread up in the Cold Water forum. I posted some pictures there of my creations or desecrations, again that depends on your point of view.

bocast

Reaction score
Colors: Chartreuse, yellow, black, tan, pink, wine, purple, gray, orange, white, Chartreuse. ('You said Chartreuse twice....". "Fish like Chartreuse"). I often use black dubbing with a little black ice dub or SLF Prism peacock blended in. Sometimes a little flash helps (not a lot of flash). Have tried coloring up a tan mop fly with brown trout spots, or smallmouth colors or other fish features using permanent markers. The chartreuse with black dubbing still out fished 'em three to one. My wife, who has great success with mop flies, sight fishes a mop fly suspended under a airlock indicator, setting when she sees the mop fly disappear on the take, hence the success of garish colors... I've taken to tying mop flies with # 12 hooks which take her a lot of big (20"+) trout, but they have to be high quality hooks or they can get bent out. I don't fish the mop flies, just tie 'em for Gorgeous. She won't leave home without them. She let's me know right away and in no uncertain terms if a particular tie doesn't produce for her. She fished mop flies virtually every weekend this past year over STOCKED trout, so take these observations with a grain of salt when applying to wild fish... We've taken smallmouth and Great Lakes steelhead on them too... Recommend a Kamasan B175 hook or whatever hook you know to be strong for the steelhead if you don't want to lose a great fish to a bent hook.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk