Deciphering hook size - visual primer

hollisd

Reaction score
I have a hard time picturing a fly for a given hook size until I see it in person.

Especially larger flies such as hoppers, muddler minnows, and streamers I usually guess the hook size or go for the middle but I'm always surprised when a fly is smaller or larger than I expected; often to extremes.

Does anyone have any tips or a rubric that will help me see these more clearly in my head?

For example, hopper size 6, 8, 10, 12, my brain says the 6 will be huge; the 12 small but these are so vague I really have no idea what my preferred size for any given fly is until I see them.

For dries it's a lot easier I know a #18 is small and anything smaller is approaching bifocal territory to thread the eye with tippet, and I know a #12 and #14 are decent to large size dries.

Where it really gets hard is big 'ol streamers that have 1/0 hooks I give up when I see the slash for I think the number-to-hook-size logic gets turned on its head and I'm even more confused

Would appreciate any help if this is better suited to novice/beginner mods can feel free to move

I would love a cheat sheet if anything exists — not a hook chart for that's not super simple but maybe real flies with something to scale for reference — I don't know that I've ever seen one

denver1911

Reaction score
Personally I think the notion of a cheat sheet or trying to memorize sizes is hard. I say just fish more. The more you fish, the more you use flies of,differing sizes and the more you learn to distinguish.

philly

Reaction score
I have an Excel spreadsheet that just gives suggestions of hooks by brand and what they're used for. I don't think that's what you're looking for. For example, you mentioned grasshoppers. All the sizes would work because as the season progresses they grow in size. Early in they might be size 12 at the end of the season, I've seen some that would be better tied on size 4 or 2. In terms of streamers, I usually think bait fish patterns. Depends on the size of the bait fish. If I were doing a fry I might tie it on a size 12, though usually a size 10 is what I'll use. When I get into 6 inch or larger I may go as high as a 4/0. Trial and error. Tie the pattern if the hook looks to small or to large, go up or down a size or two. You want to have a fly that looks balanced. I once brought some popper bodies already on the hook. They had been spray painted, looked fantastic. I don't do that when I make poppers. When I got home, I realize, the tyer, he does mainly salt water, had used size 4 hooks with a size 10 popper body. So I very carefully tried to remove the hooks, and put them on a size 10 hook. I managed to salvage 5 of the 6 I brought.

dennyk

Reaction score
This guy carries his reference with him. :)

Constructively, why don't you make up a small reference box of hooks you can carry with you with each hook labeled?

Denny

durangobrad

Reaction score
Just pick one that is the right size for the situation, or bugs you are seeing in the water. The trout do not know hooks by numerical size, they just know that if the midge looks accurate and sized close enough they are going to eat it.

silver creek

Reaction score
I have a hard time picturing a fly for a given hook size until I see it in person.

Especially larger flies such as hoppers, muddler minnows, and streamers I usually guess the hook size or go for the middle but I'm always surprised when a fly is smaller or larger than I expected; often to extremes.

Does anyone have any tips or a rubric that will help me see these more clearly in my head?

For example, hopper size 6, 8, 10, 12, my brain says the 6 will be huge; the 12 small but these are so vague I really have no idea what my preferred size for any given fly is until I see them.

For dries it's a lot easier I know a #18 is small and anything smaller is approaching bifocal territory to thread the eye with tippet, and I know a #12 and #14 are decent to large size dries.

Where it really gets hard is big 'ol streamers that have 1/0 hooks I give up when I see the slash for I think the number-to-hook-size logic gets turned on its head and I'm even more confused

Would appreciate any help if this is better suited to novice/beginner mods can feel free to move

I would love a cheat sheet if anything exists — not a hook chart for that's not super simple but maybe real flies with something to scale for reference — I don't know that I've ever seen one

Here is the problem with sizing flies like hoppers. They can be tied on multiple hooks. The problem occurs because the hook SIZE which is the hook GAP is NOT the same thing as the hook LENGTH. What the fish sees as "size" is the body length of the fly and that is NOT the same as the hook size which is the hook gap.

For example a size 10 2XL hook is the length as standard length size 8 hook and a size 10 3XL hook is the length of a standard length size 6 hook. So when you ask a fly fisher what size hopper they are using, you are asking the hook size and NOT the fly size.

Look at the Charlie Boy Hopper pattern below:

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Here is what Charlie Craven says about the hooks he uses:

"Hook: TMC 100SP-BL #8-10, or TMC 5212 or TMC 5262 #4-8 A note on hooks: I use the 2xl TMC 5212 and 5262 for larger sized hoppers and have recently switched the smaller Charlie Boy Hoppers over to the standard length, wide gaped TMC 100SP-BL to improve the hook gap while still making a smaller sized hopper. The nominal length of the size 8 100SP-BL is the same as the 5212 in a size 12, but with a much bigger hook gap. In small sizes, the narrower gap of the 5212 is filled in by the foam body, where the 100 SP-BL leaves plenty of bite."

So a hopper tied on the size 8 100SP-BL is the same as the 5212 hook size 12! That is a 4 hook size difference (yes there are odd hook sizes)!

So what size hopper do you ask for if you do not know the hook that it is tied on????????????

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I have a small, 6" stainless rule on my tying bench, that has both inches & metric markings.

To further add to what Silver Creek has said, not all hook makers sizing is the same, even when the hook style is similar, so that compounds the issue of "size", particularly versus gap.

I've been tying & fishing for many years, so now, can look at most hooks and tell what size they may be. Not always, but close enough for selecting flies. With the information that Silver provided, and seeing actual insects, or other forage, it's not difficult to figure out what hook or hooks can be used when imitating them.

For me, hook size has no real importance when selecting a fly to fish with, it's when tying the fly that it's of some importance and even then only to choose from what the label states on the package. Otherwise, as long as it's length and gap are sufficient for the fly pattern, that's all I really care about.

This is where that small ruler comes into play for me. It often allows me to visualize what I don't have reference to in front of me. So, if I want to tie a fly to imitate a hopper that's 2" or 1/2" long, I can use that rule to make measurements, and accurately estimate the hook sizing.

This type of rule is available inexpensively, and they even have them with pocket clips, so you can carry them in a shirt pocket, out in the field. Not a typical tying tool, but has been invaluable to me.

There was a recent discussion about hooking ability and sizing and Silver mentioned a style that had good length, but poor gap. So, not all hooks of the same size, are going to fill the need for tying. In that case, that rule might help visualize what a fly would look like on various hooks, with various gaps.

Sometimes, we have to make assumptions, but if you have a hard time visualizing, without a prop, then give that small rule a try.