Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: UV Resins

Default UV Resins

Having used several diffenent resins while tying, my results have been somewhat spotty. Uneven coating, dull finishes, milky finishes, and finishes that have faded quickly. Any suggestions about brands that have produced your best high gloss, reflective coatings that haven't darkened, become milky, or dulled.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. - Anonymous.

Default Re: UV Resins

I make two types of UV resin. They are new versions which are clearer and more impact resistant than other brands.

I was demo tying at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring opener and next to me was tyer using the UV resin starting with "S" for tying perdigon nymphs. I had not tested my resin side by side before with this brand so we put two thick drops side by side and the S had a slight yellow tint and my was clear. He bought a bottle of my resin.

PM me and I will give you the details.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Likes jfh245 liked this post
    Blog Entries

+1 for Silver Creek's resin.

s.
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

5. Likes jfh245 liked this post

+2, his stuff is the best I ever used.

7. Likes jfh245 liked this post

Thus far I have avoided using or buying the resins. That’s partially because I don’t know what to buy, but also because I figure I am likely to make a mess. Basically I use head cement and that’s it. I don’t use super glue in all its forms because I figure I will end up gluing my fingers together with a fly in the middle.

But I am seeing more and more videos where resin is used and I am beginning to weaken. So I ask you folks whether someone who ties trout flies is really missing that much by not using resins. And what do I need to get started other than a UV light of some sort (what sort?) and a bottle or two of Silver’s juice.

Thanks for any advice to go with that for the OP.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    Thus far I have avoided using or buying the resins. That’s partially because I don’t know what to buy, but also because I figure I am likely to make a mess. Basically I use head cement and that’s it. I don’t use super glue in all its forms because I figure I will end up gluing my fingers together with a fly in the middle.

But I am seeing more and more videos where resin is used and I am beginning to weaken. So I ask you folks whether someone who ties trout flies is really missing that much by not using resins. And what do I need to get started other than a UV light of some sort (what sort?) and a bottle or two of Silver’s juice.

Don
    Wapsi Fly Tyers Z-Ment | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

This is the super glue I use. The brush applicator is the best method I've found so far to apply CA.

Trust me, if it would be possible to glue your fingers together using this stuff I would've done it by now.
    -Rick Allen

10. Thanks sparsegraystubble thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Silver Creek's resin, at one time he was selling through the forum and everyone loved the material. Maybe drop him a PM and solve your problem.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes jfh245 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post

Don
    Since nobody else took a shot at your question....

As you well know you can survive without UV resin for most trout flies. There are some sinking trout patterns that just work better with UV resin for sure. My biggest attraction to it is medium to large warm water flies. It dries clear and bulletproof on the heads, in a matter of a few seconds. It looks very professional like the head on an expensive bass jig or spinnerbait a gear chucker would use. As far as UV lights, Silver Creek's large light is a torch. It looks and feels like a mini-tactical flashlight. A real quality piece. It's not nearly the same as some $5 light from a discount chain. I've used Loon brand resin. It works well enough, but it's not quite as good as SC's and it's more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    Since nobody else took a shot at your question....

As far as UV lights, Silver Creek's large light is a torch. It looks and feels like a mini-tactical flashlight. A real quality piece.
    I use the same flashlight body as a "tactical" type of light. I keep one in each of my cars. Since I buy the flashlight bodies and bulbs separately, I just put in a white light bulb instead of a UV bulb.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

15. Likes ia_trouter liked this post