Barbless Hooks

wjlapier

Reaction score
I usually smash my barbed hooks but would prefer to not have even a partial barb on the hook. So, I'm looking for quality barbless hooks. Size 14 are what I tie my nymphs with. So, size 14 barbless for nymphs.

I bought some jig style hooks from Orvis and some Hanaks from a fly shop I passed through and these hooks got me to thinking about barbless from the start.

What are some companies you'd recommend and if possible on Amazon? I'll pass through the fly shop with the Hanaks Monday and most likely buy some more hooks from them, but in the mean time I'm considering other options. And the hooks I'm looking for don't have to be the "competition" style.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I really like TMC 2499...curious to see what others say.
I seem to get much better hook ups on barbless

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Sounds like you did fine, Hanak makes a good hook, just depends on the model and your usage.

I use MFC, Diiachi ( Disc. ), TMC & Saber barbless hooks mostly, but I've bought a variety of others.
I cherry pick the best hooks for my ties from a variety of sources. I've not found one company that makes excellent models across it's entire range of models, nor one that offers all the styles & sizes I use. They all have their blue, red & white ribbon entries.

Whether they are available on Amazon, I really couldn't tell you, I tend to shy away from mega-vendors.

Dave

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Here’s another endorsement of Allen hooks and their beads as well.

Their jig hooks are strong and consistent. I like Fireholes and many of the others, but for combined guality and price Allen is my most used hook brand.

I tie a lot of flies to give away to friends. When you do that with tungsten beads, your expenses can really add up. And they offer discounts relatively frequently if you are on their list.

Delivery and service is good too. Plus they are a sponsor here.

I just need to win their caption contest more often.

Don

brownbass

Reaction score
Firehole are the best, but they’re expensive.
I find the price of Firesticks at least competitive. If you buy from Firehole direct you get 50 for $10.00. Even at the flyshop price of $7.50 for 35, it isn't any more expensive.TMC is much more expensive. I like most of the major brands of hooks and have not a few of the major brands and some of the lesser-known hooks like Allen's. Firesticks are my favored brand.

Bill

Bill

roger h 10

Reaction score
I buy most of my barbless hooks from Troutline in Romania. Lucian stocks a great range down to very small sizes and his prices are good too.

alexs

Reaction score
+1
Troutline is my main source for hooks (I only use barbless).
Lucian has a bunch of other stuff at good prices: dubbing, feathers, thread, beads, etc.