Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Noseeum

Default Noseeum

Phil bair's noseeum mayfly,simple looking pattern.

Anyone useum?

2. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Default Re: Noseeum

Interesting sparse pattern. Kind of looks like a reversed hackle stacker with a short thread body coated with head cement.

Looks easy to tie.

1998451_orig.jpg
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

4. Likes flytie09, mcnerney, rustneversleeps liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Interesting sparse pattern. Kind of looks like a reversed hackle stacker with a short thread body coated with head cement.

Looks easy to tie.

1998451_orig.jpg
    Silvercreek,are you able to find an sbs for this pattern? I havent.

It looks simple,but i do like to know how the creator ties their fies.

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    Silvercreek,are you able to find an sbs for this pattern? I havent.

It looks simple,but i do like to know how the creator ties their fies.
    I just have the photo. There are no directions. But here is how I would tie it.

Phil Bair's Noseeum Mayfly

I would mount the hook upside down if you have a non rotating vise. You will need a parachute attachment for the vise.

1. Use the color thead you want for the body. Cover the hook with the tying thread body.

2. Bring the tread back to the back end of the hackle which looks to be about 40% of the body length behind the hook eye.

3. Make an open loop about 4-5 inches long with the tying thread and tie the base of the loop so it is fixed to the hook

4. Place the thread loop in parachute attachment/gallows so it is held up under tension.

5. Tie in the color and length of hackle you want at the base of the loop. The base of the stem of the hackle should be wrapped towards the hook eye and then take the thread back to the base of the paraloop.

6. Wrap the hackle up and then back down the paraloop. Push the wrapped hackle down towards the hook so the hackle fibers are tight against the hook. Tie the hackle down on the hook, cut off the hackle and then wrap the thread toward the hook eye, leaving enough space to tie down the paraloop/hackle stacker.

7. Remove the hackle stacker thread loop from the parachute attachment/gallows, and bend it forward toward the hook eye and tied it down. The hackle will be spread out on each side of the hook. Bend these hackle fibers up around each side of the hook and pinch the hackle together so the hackle now forms the wing as seen in the photo.

8. At this point, I would put a dab of UV resin on the bottom of the fly where the hackles are bend up and cure the resin to hold the wing up.

A simpler way would be to make a traditional hackle stacker like the video below and place the hackle stacker wing on top of teh body as in the vidoe below with dubbed body under the hackle stacker wing. Folding the hackle stacker wing around the hook seems unnecessary. I'd tie some up the traditional way and some up following the pattern and see if the fish prefer the original vs the easier method of tying.

1998451_orig.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes flytie09, The op liked this post

Good informative post as usual silvercreek.

I will be tying a few of these noseeums on 22's to try this year on my local bwo's.

9. Thanks silver creek thanked for this post