What flies should I tie for the Madison, Yellowstone area end of September?

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a month left before my trip to Montana and my fly box is pretty depleted from the season. I usually only tie in the winter, but I figure I have a month to refresh my box for a trip to the Madison (9/26-9/30) I'm only in my first full season as a fly tyer so be gentle. Thanks.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is what Blue Ribbon Flies said in their fishing report 8/29:
Madison below Quake: According to our research here at BRF, hoppers, hoppers, and more hoppers have still been the ticket here. A Morrish Hopper should still do the trick. Don't forget your Arrick's Flying Ant or a Jake's Gulp Beetle for a change of pace dry when the fish want something a little smaller. It's chilly in the mornings these days, so if you are fishing early in the day you'll probably want to try some nymphs. Give it a go with brown #16 $3 Dips, #18 Half Pints, #18 Radiation Baetis, #16 Copper Quill Nymphs and #16 Spanish Bullets.
Northeast Corner of the Park: Drake Mackerels have begun hatching, as have the tiny cream-colored fall Baetis mayflies. A Cripple Drake Mackerel is a great fly to have in your box, along with the classic Drake Mackerel Sparkle Duns and Foam Emergers. Have some little Slough Creek Baetis Sparkle Duns along, too, especially if you are chasing the picky cutts on Slough Creek. Definitely bring your Longhorn Beetles as well as black #12 Morrish Hoppers and pink #10 Thunder Thighs. For dropper flies, try a #14 Pheasant Tail Prince or a #16 Radiation Baetis.

planettrout

Reaction score
FYI:

Do yourself a favor and set time aside to visit Blue Ribbon Flies and Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn to pick up some patterns for the Madison which can be duplicated at a later date:

Blue Ribbon Flies - Blue Ribbon Flies

Products Archive - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

If it is cold, rainy or snowing, Baetis in #22 and Midges #18 - #22 will be the best bet along with big meaty streamers that Kelly Galloup can supply:

MIDGES that have worked for me in the late Fall on the Madison River, MT...

A few BAETIS / BWO's:

Some of Kelly Galloup's Streamers in his shop:

Enjoy !!!

PT/TB

bigal36

Reaction score
Just got back from 10 days in the area. Hoppers, right now, are the ticket...every fish we caught on the Madison, both drifting and wading (outside of the park) was off of a hopper. Moorish, Thunder Thighs, Chubby's, especially pink, along with yellow and tan. Most of the fish we found were not on the banks or even behind boulders - middle of the river buckets really paid off.

To a person, everyone when we spoke with while wading was using hoppers - guides even suggested this year was better then last year's hopper season.

Galloup and crew know the Madison, for sure...they will not over sell what you need.

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
Madison..yellowstone...late sept? From mid sept through fall most of the time im throwing streamers. Especially on the Stone. FIsh of a lifetime is swimming in there no doubt

caddis75

Reaction score
FYI:

Do yourself a favor and set time aside to visit Blue Ribbon Flies and Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn to pick up some patterns for the Madison which can be duplicated at a later date:

Blue Ribbon Flies - Blue Ribbon Flies

Products Archive - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

If it is cold, rainy or snowing, Baetis in #22 and Midges #18 - #22 will be the best bet along with big meaty streamers that Kelly Galloup can supply:

MIDGES that have worked for me in the late Fall on the Madison River, MT...

A few BAETIS / BWO's:

Some of Kelly Galloup's Streamers in his shop:

Enjoy !!!

PT/TB
Thanks, PT. I tied up some Shuka Khans in 18-22 and the UV blue midge in the same. I'm not good with hackle yet so those don't have the front hackle around the collar. Tied a bunch of half-pints, zebra midges and Krystal dips also. Maybe 50 flies or so. Weather is going to be terrible, can't wait.

tomsakai

Reaction score
I just got back Saturday from fishing the Madison. Unfortunately, a spell of unseasonably cold weather hit last week. I doubt that the hoppers will still be active when you get there; we saw less and less every day. What was working for us was standard nymphs such as copper johns, variegated brown/black pat's rubber legs, pheasant tails. The rubber legs I was using were sizes 8-10, with tungsten beads.

caddis75

Reaction score
I just got back Saturday from fishing the Madison. Unfortunately, a spell of unseasonably cold weather hit last week. I doubt that the hoppers will still be active when you get there; we saw less and less every day. What was working for us was standard nymphs such as copper johns, variegated brown/black pat's rubber legs, pheasant tails. The rubber legs I was using were sizes 8-10, with tungsten beads.
Thanks. I'll throw some rubber legs in my streamer box. It's gonna be a cold and wet weekend. Hopefully the fishing is good!