What's this fly that I'm slaying rainbows with?

jofer

Reaction score
Looks like a Midge nymph, hook 22 or 24, with a tail and gold bead!!

Regards

Jofer

flytie09

Reaction score
I thought that as well. The pic is a little blurry. Is the fly new or was it used? If it's used, did the wing case begin to come apart?

Looks alot like this to me....a beaded WD-40 that has started to unravel.

beaded wd-40.jpg

silver creek

Reaction score
Now that you mention the unravelling, I think you are right. It probably is a WD-40.

Good pickup on the unravelling of a fished fly.

I first tied the WD-40 in the early 1990's well over 20 years ago. Although I learned about it on the San Juan River, I was told it was a Colorado pattern and that the version tied with Wood Duck flank feathers was the original. This was before the World Wide Web, and we discussed fly fishing on Flyfish@, a mailing list where I introduced this patterns to the members. It predates the other "WD-40s" that I had seen and no on FF@ had heard of the WD-40 at that time.

I was told that the WD in WD-40 stands for Wood Duck.

Indeed, I used barred wood duck for the fly instead of barred mallard. It was not until later that I learned that the WD in WD-40 was named for Wood Duck flank feathers at all. I am not sure what the "WD" means. I later learned of the true history below:

Tying Small Flies - Ed Engle - Google Books

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Mark Engler: The Man Who Created the WD-40

Mark Engler's WD-40 Nymph

Video: How to Tie the WD-40 Emerger - Orvis News

Mark Engler, a Guide from Durango created the WD 40 in 1982 actually specifically for the Frying Pan River, it has always been a Colorado staple and was immediately well received...over the years it has been created in likely hundreds of variations...and varied colors, etc. It was originally named WD for the Wood Duck used in the tie....although it latter was believed because of it's multiple and versatile uses similar to the the other WD40 product. Here's another interesting feature on Mark:

How one man has found both loneliness and salvation in fly-fishing | Adventure Sports Network

oh, and I second or third the vote, the fly shown by the OP looks like a well loved WD 40.

MTNRGR

Reaction score
Hot Springs, Virginia/Harbor Springs, Michigan
I thought that as well. The pic is a little blurry. Is the fly new or was it used? If it's used, did the wing case begin to come apart?

Looks alot like this to me....a beaded WD-40 that has started to unravel.

View attachment 18853
Its absolutely used, 13 rainbows and 1 small brown with it so far, haven't used anything else since i first put it on 3 days ago....sadly i dont know what a wing case is.

MTNRGR

Reaction score
Also.....2 of them were right at the end of the swing which completely surprised me because I never thought anything would hit a nymph swinging like that, especially wild tailwater trout, but what do i know.....i let them all swing to a finish now though.

flytie09

Reaction score
A little fly anatomy:

View attachment 18865

I always swing at the end of a drift...whether I'm high sticking, using an indy rig, wet flies, or streamers.....swing them to the bank. Might as well get your moneys worth out of that cast.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'll throw another "possible" into the mix on the nymph's identity-- a split-case PMD bead-head nymph. A few years back, one of my "fishing cronies" brought a bunch after a trek out East, as he had the same kind of luck with the pattern as MTNRGR. Since then, the "cronies" have had me tying some up every year for addition as "staples" in all of their nymph boxes.

As for favorite sizes? The range from the "cronies" runs the gambit from #14 to #22.

Food for thought from yours truly. Have a good one, everybody...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Good call Jerry.....hard to tell from the OP's pictures but there could be a few strings of wing fragments remaining on his fly....not as big of usage fly for us out West as a WD40 would be, but a well worn split-case bead head in black might be exactly what he has...just a touch shorter body and that might make the hook choice make sense too:

Beadhead Split Case Emerger-Discount Flies-BigYFlyCo.com

Once again, OP if you want your photo fly matched - Jerry is likely the best guy I know for the job and your best shot at getting a solid match. I would bet you could even mail him your old fly and insure the match even further.

MTNRGR

Reaction score
You may also want to get ahold of Hairwing530 here on the forum....he is a great guy and prolific tier...I'm sure he'd be willing to tie you up a batch of them matched to your photo. All of his work goes to benefit "his kids" which are children who use fly tieing in hospital situations to escape a bit and pass time from the illnesses they are fighting. Great Guy and a Great cause too.
98% of my flies came from Jerry, not these 2 though...lol