Photos of my first flies

FlukeFly

Reaction score
Here is some photos of my fist flies.
I am trying to make some Tenkara - Nymphs on a number 12 hook.
I am looking for feedback - good or what I can do it improve. I don't have names for them. So if what they are like please give me feedback with the name.
Thanks
IMG_0607-1.jpg

IMG_0605-1.jpg

IMG_0611-1.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennyk

Reaction score

silver creek

Reaction score
Re: Photos of my fist flies

Here is some photos of my fist flies.
I am trying to make some Tenkara - Nymphs on a number 12 hook.
I am looking for feedback - good or what I can do it improve. I don't have names for them. So if what they are like please give me feedback with the name.
Thanks
View attachment 19431

View attachment 19432

View attachment 19434

Thanks again for the feedback.
1. The heads of the flies are inconsistent. Fly #1 has bare hook showing at the head. Fly #3 has hackle trapped at the head.

2. Fly #3 can be improved. The body of the fly goes too far back around the bend of the fly. A fly body should END where the hook shank ends. This is where the hook starts to bend. The hackle is not vertical - not sure exactly why. Maybe it was wrapped over a slanted base of the hackle was crowded. The proportion of fly body to hackle is off - the section of body is too long and the section with hackle is too short.

Don't take my criticisms too hard. The fies are good for first flies. But like all first flies, they can be improved and you will get better with time. Try for the proportions below.

strmanglr scott

Reaction score

If you're not working off a book of instruction, I would suggest that. Dave Hughes book Essential Trout Flies was my instruction. Without even realizing it I had also bought his book on Taking Trout at a seperate time and recommend that for everything else but tying.

Interesting story, my friend and I got into fly fishing almost at the same time. We started tying about the same time as well. When we met up to take a fishing trip with our first flies we tied, one of us had that book with us and turns out we had both purchased the same book. The flies we tied looked very different though. His concept of proportions was way off or he didn't think of it at all. My flies clearly looked much better. He had a lot more flies than I did.

Like Silver said, proportions are important. What I learned, more important than color.

If I did something wrong as I tied the fly, I back it off and do it again. The fly isn't done right until it's whip finished. There are a lot of places to screw up from the bend to the eye of the hook, including the last step, whip finishing. I tied about a half dozen flies in the beginning where I ruined the fly by whip finishing over the eyelet. I still keep those in mind when I tie today.

Tarpon Time

Reaction score

Guess what with a good presentation the fish will still eat them LOL!!!! Nice Job or your first flies!!!!! There are times I tie mayflies with six tails just to PO off my fishing buddies and I guess I ran into the trout that cannot count because they ate the fly!!!!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction and the forum Fluke! That first fly you posted looks a LOT like my very first fly. You asked for feedback so here it is. Less is more. With practice you'll get the proportions more correct. That said, Tarpon Time is correct, presentation trumps perfectly constructed flies. Most fish are not nearly the art critics we often give them credit for. You mentioned you are into Tenkara. Do you have any partridge feathers? Get some and tie up some reverse hackle wets. There are few flies more versatile for stream trout than a sparsely tied reverse wet with a tenkara rod. It's a good beginner fly because it will teach you the concept of tying sparse without the complexity.

jdwy

Reaction score
They look good to me - well done!!
As a wise man said on a fly tying forum, it may look butt-ugly to a human but many times the fish don't care if it's a sloppy tie job. I always go to You Tube for almost any fly. Usually the tying pro has a clever short cut or two plus on a complicated fly I have a tendency to miss a step so if I don't watch the vid step by step I have to backtrack.

clsmith131

Reaction score
Just wait till you catch a fish on one of your own flies, it's a pretty awesome feeling.