Lost pattern, SPM

paulm

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a pattern called the Spirit of Pittsford Mills?

I had used this fly years ago and seem to remember getting the pattern from a periodical such as “Fly Fisherman”. As I understand it this was used on a brook in Pittsford Mills Vt. That runs into the Otter River.

I have tried doing a search, but nothing that is close to the name comes up. This may have dropped from the databases because it was actually another fly renamed.

FISHN50

Reaction score

Spirit of Pittsford Mills This was the favorite trout dry fly of Ben Schley who was a great fisherman . It's one of the few flies that honestly passes for natural mayflies, caddisflies and stoneflies. Effective from April until November.
Tying the Spirit of Pittsford Mills
A. Pattern
1. Hook - 12-18 dry fly
2. Wings - grizzly hackle points
3. Tail - ginger
4. Body - dubbed gray duck down
5. Rib - clipped ginger hackle - palmered
6. Hackle - ginger
B. Tying procedure
1. Same basic elements as above
2. Rib
a. Tied in before body is wound on
1) Tied down by the tip of the feather
vise as a model.
The Spirit of Pittsford Mills is tied in the classic mayfly style, although it was developed as a caddisfly imitation. The palmered hackles and the use of duck down as dubbing material ( Try CDC as an improvement) are the major new elements included.I think an Adams is close enough to this fly to sub for it. That may be why it dropped from the radar...it is a generic mayfly imitation that if you tied the wings in tilted rearward would make a decent Caddis imitation........

paulm

Reaction score
Fantastic job,

I have a couple here, but when you start tying a fly based on the last one tied, after awhile it can morph a whole lot.

This used to be my generic, why not give it a go, dry fly. Floats great etc.

Once again thanks.

paulm

Reaction score
Follow up,
The instructions from FSHN50 are exactly what I wanted, and the CDC sounds like an excellent update.

However the “Classic Trout Fishing “, link brought on another Rip Van Winkle moment. Oh the link is great and the classic pasterns list is an excellent resource, BUT while browsing around I happened onto the remembrances’ past section and saw a picture of my vise-“The Universal Rotating Vice”. What happened over the years anyway? I am still trying to get used to the look and feel of graphite, and get up to date on the latest flies.
Oh ya, and how about prices? I am looking at a couple of boxes of streamer hooks from Mustad, #2 and 4 3X long, that I bought as a close out from a Sporting goods supplier that was dropping the fly tying line to concentrate on hunting. $2.65/C or $0.35/ Doz.(their prices as marked on the boxes).

Such fun.

The years teach much which the days never knew
... Ralph Waldo Emerson