Recommendations for buying flies online

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
I always check local shops first. Often they have sales this time of year that you won't find online, and there are a host of other benefits that you probably already know.

Otherwise, Orvis has 20% off right now. Also you have Big Y, Trout's, Red's, TCO, Dakota, Fly Fishers, Avidmax, Fishwest, and Trident to name a few.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

smoke33

Reaction score
"The 2019 Miracle XL+"
"The 2019 Miracle XL+"

Go to this thread, contact Hairwing and tell him what you want. Flies are top notch and proceeds go to a great cause. Jerry is awesome. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
If you don't need the flies right now, but can hold off a bit, Hairwing530 on this forum is the place to go. You won't find a better deal. He may be a little busy with orders, but he's pretty quick.

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
I purchase my trout flies from Ascent Fly Fishing in Colorado and my bass & pike flies from Big Y Fly in Oregon. Both place have quality flies at great prices.

smoke33

Reaction score
I purchase my trout flies from Ascent Fly Fishing in Colorado and my bass & pike flies from Big Y Fly in Oregon. Both place have quality flies at great prices.
Another place that that is about more than just making money. They employ people in Africa who make their flies and it’s not about cheap labor. The owner and his wife are trying to do good. It’s a pretty cool story about the owner and the journey of him starting his business. If I didn’t buy my flies from Jerry this would be my second choice.

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
Another place that that is about more than just making money. They employ people in Africa who make their flies and it’s not about cheap labor. The owner and his wife are trying to do good. It’s a pretty cool story about the owner and the journey of him starting his business. If I didn’t buy my flies from Jerry this would be my second choice.

Yep, Peter Stitcher the owner of Ascent is a great guy. I have contacted him numerous times with questions and he always takes the time to answer. He even gives out his cell number so I can message him while on the river.

The "Family" atmosphere they have created with the group in Africa is amazing.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
You need not look any farther then Jerry aka hairwing530 who is a member of this site-He's got them all beat!

Denny
I'll second that. I bought a bunch of bass and pike flies from Jerry and they are excellent flies at a great price.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Is this the same fly shop running the homeless cafe by the couple in CO? If so I've seen some articles on them and they seem to be stand up people doing the fly fishing community proud. Our sport seems to be good about supporting charitable programs and that pleases me.

smoke33

Reaction score
Is this the same fly shop running the homeless cafe by the couple in CO? If so I've seen some articles on them and they seem to be stand up people doing the fly fishing community proud. Our sport seems to be good about supporting charitable programs and that pleases me.
I believe so. I know they have reached out to hire and help locals and help them get back on their feet.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I believe so. I know they have reached out to hire and help locals and help them get back on their feet.

Did some digging, yes it is. Pretty cool project they have going on at this link. Legal non-profit running a cafe in fly fishing land. If you can pay you pay, if not you can eat one free meal a day. I'd be interested to learn more about them. I probably shouldn't say it but glad to hear they are hiring locals to work. I'm a firm believer in a hand up, rather than just a handout, to those who have some choice in the matter.

Sharing Hope & Life Through Fly Fishing - Ascent Fly Fishing

smoke33

Reaction score
Did some digging, yes it is. Pretty cool project they have going on at this link. Legal non-profit running a cafe in fly fishing land. If you can pay you pay, if not you can eat one free meal a day. I'd be interested to learn more about them. I probably shouldn't say it but glad to hear they are hiring locals to work. I'm a firm believer in a hand up, rather than just a handout, to those who have some choice in the matter.

Sharing Hope & Life Through Fly Fishing - Ascent Fly Fishing
Follow him on Instagram. He doesn’t pose for IG pics. All of his post are informative, educational and or showing behind the scenes stuff of their business and outreach. A while back I listened to a Rob Snowhite podcast he was a guest on and it was very interesting. I recommend listening to it.

Adding podcast link.

Fly Fishing Consultant Podcast: 224 | Geeking Out On Bugs With Peter Stitcher | Ascent Fly Fishing on Apple Podcasts

Last edited:

fffl

Reaction score
I have been buying flies online for several years. Trying to save money without a loss in quality is hard to do.Three years ago my friend ALEX told me about a company in Romania called TROUTLINE .COM . What a find , not only are their prices hard to beat but they also have the best quality flies. Most flies are barbless on competition hooks. Most nymphs come with tungsten beads. If your order is big enough you get it in less than a week from DHL EXPRESS. After you get your first order delivered you can thank me later, ha ha .

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have been buying flies online for several years. Trying to save money without a loss in quality is hard to do.Three years ago my friend ALEX told me about a company in Romania called TROUTLINE .COM . What a find , not only are their prices hard to beat but they also have the best quality flies. Most flies are barbless on competition hooks. Most nymphs come with tungsten beads. If your order is big enough you get it in less than a week from DHL EXPRESS. After you get your first order delivered you can thank me later, ha ha .
I think it is always best to buy a small quantity from a new fly source so you can inspect them with little risk if you aren't pleased. That was not at all directed at Jerry. k_e_v is one of his customers so I have fished a few of them. They are nice flies, the nymphs in particular.

The first time I bought cheap flies was 10 years ago when I start fly fishing. Oh they were attrocious! Didn't look like any actual pattern. Just a bunch of flies I would expect from a third grade class and I mean the first hour of that class. They were from whoknowswhere Asia off ebay.

A considerable number of flies come out of Africa now. Some of those sure look good from pics IMO. I don't know how that got started originally, but I do know a mission we support (my small church), set up a village. The whole village had virtually zero income so it seems worthwhile to me. Some of those places are still generations away from any hope of commerce. It's not like they are going to get a contract supplying Orvis, but I like the concept. I highly suspect a large percentage of the flies we buy in fly shops are from a foreign source.