2 4.26%
  • No

20 42.55%
  • Unkown, never used or seen used.

25 53.19%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: moffitt angling system

1. Default Re: moffitt angling system

Thats right, so that makes this system a non snag system No, it does not. The fish is hooked on the outside of the mouth, which by definition, is snagging in many states. Also, when the fish is hooked, the hook would be pulling against the out skin, which could very possibly lead to the hook pulling out and ripping the fish's jaw open a bit.Not that I'm saying nobody should buy this system, that it should be made illegal everywhere, ect. Thats your own chose. IMO though, I don't think its any better than the traditional systems.
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

Default Re: moffitt angling system

The people handling the advertising are probably the same people putting together the anti gun ads....Tell people anything and they will believe it, no matter how little sense it makes.

A fly is a hook with thred, fur, and feathers attached to it, and yes once in a great while a fish is hooked somewhere other then the mouth. When that does occur the ethical fisherperson, note the PC of this sentence; releases the fish.

I would advise anyone thinking of using this system to carefully review the laws for their particular state and the special regs waters also.

Dan

3. Default Re: moffitt angling system

I have fished circle hooks for some time now. They do not snag fish. The point of the hook is 90 degrees to the shank, unlike the j-hook. I see no problem with this system if you learn how to use it. I always wonder at people who put something down when they don't know anything about it or have never tried it. It's like reviewing a book without reading it.

Coltclone,

I am not putting something down while not having used it - I am merely stating that if you use the Moffitt system in Missouri while fishing on a Blue Ribbon stream (flies only and C&R or you can only keep one slot) you are breaking the law. In Missouri a fly is legally defined as a "hook" with "permanently attached fur, feathers or material" (e.g. thread) - fishing with a bare hook of ANY kind is legally defined as "snagging".

If someone wants to make the effort to get the laws changed, then I would be happy to try the Moffitt syste - might not like it, but I would try it. But as it stands today -

"The Moffitt System is not legal for "fly-only" trout fishing areas in the state of Missouri", and potentially many other states (including parts of Alaska like the Kenai River).

5. Re: moffitt angling system

Alaskan guides using "illegal" beads years ago tied a single 3/4 inch thread to the bare hook to overcome the "bare hook" rule.

That "thread" trick in Missouri will result in walking away with your wallet a LOT lighter. The DNR has re-worked the trout stream classification system to maintain the naturally reproducing trout populations, and they do not put up with any thing less than meeting both the "letter" and the "spirit" of the law. I have seen more DNR presence "on the stream" over the last few years. Many of us carry waterproof cell phones when on the stream, and will be more than happy to call the TIP hotline to report someone illegally fishing or taking trout. It only takes a few slobs to damage a fragile resource.

7. Default Re: moffitt angling system

It appears from a letter from Moffitt that the system is deemed legal in the State of Colorado..Since the fish can choose to bite the fly and Where in snagging the fish has no choice..

Anyone actually fishing this system and have a review?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLove View Post
    It appears from a letter from Moffitt that the system is deemed legal in the State of Colorado..Since the fish can choose to bite the fly and Where in snagging the fish has no choice..
    I read the same article in the Denver Post a few days ago. Colorado seemed to have pretty strict laws when I lived there and they enforced them to the full extent. I'm not sure I'm sold on this method yet but then I wasn't sold on the insulating value of breathable waders right off. Anyone care to share their experiences with it?

Heres the pertinent part of the regulation in Idaho:SNAGGING: It is unlawful to take or attempt to take any game
    fish by snagging. Snagging shall mean the taking or attempting
    to take a fish by use of a hook or lure in any manner or method
    other than enticing or attracting a fish to strike with, and become
    hooked in, its mouth or jaw. Game fish which are hooked other
    than in the mouth or jaw must be released immediately.
    If I was going to bet on weather I'd be cited for snagging with the Moffat system here in Idaho, I'd bet that I would.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast