Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

1. Default Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

Anyone have some nymph patterns I can tie for the ausable, I have never fished nymphs before. Im tying some phesant tails and was wondering if anyone more expierenced than me had input on flies, and nymph fishing methods.

thanks

John

2. Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

Quote Originally Posted by johnwest43 View Post
    Anyone have some nymph patterns I can tie for the ausable, I have never fished nymphs before. Im tying some phesant tails and was wondering if anyone more expierenced than me had input on flies, and nymph fishing methods.

thanks

John
    Well, nymph fishing if done in a river or stream can be fished with an indicator on a drift or as a dropper fly off of a dry.. stimulators etc etc.

On a lake I would fish them casting to rising trout, and slowly strip it back.. with a bead gets ya a little deeper quicker and in my mind makes the fly look that much better.
    Try tying some hares ears too.. they are a real easy pattern to tie and can look deadly if you substitute and re-design it.

Im sure others have more to add, hope that helps
    Brandon Heather
    Xtremely Alberta Outdoors
    Fly Frenzy Custom Flies Pro Staff

Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

Is this for a certain time of the year (spring vs. late summer) or any time?

4. Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

Mainly fishing spring asnd late fall up their.

thanks for the tips

John

Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

John, are you fishing the upper section or below Foote for Steel? If your fishing the Steelie run look to tie up some Hex patterns in sizes 8 down through 12. Also make sure you have some stone imitations again in size 8 down through 14. The other must IMO is caddis imitations, with the simple green rock worm being a must.

If you're fishing the upper sections hare's ears in a variety of sizes and colors to match what is active. Both stones and caddis should also be in your upper river box; your choice of the PT nymphs is a good pick.

Tight Lines,

Dan

6. Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

John,
    If you're fishing the upper river by Grayling. mainstream, South or North Branch. Then may i suggest Beadhead Prince Nymphs or Beadhead Pheasant tails, Rainbow Warriors & Red or Copper Copper Johns. I wouldn't go larger then 14's. 14's & 16's always work for me. Fish them on 5X or 6X. I fish 1 pattern on a dropper about 2' above bottom fly.1 little split shot about 8" above point fly. Indicator about 2 - 3 times longer then water depth. Keep an eye on your point fly as if you're not cleaning off caddis cases off the point of the hook then your not ticking the bottom. I live in Grayling and guide on the Au Sable and my favorite fishing is nymphing.
    Good Luck, Bob
    UP NORTH ANGLERS - MICHIGANS FINEST FLY FISHING GUIDE SERVICE

7. Default Re: Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

Try a Pete's Pheasent Caddis, a easy pattern which isn't that well known.

Pete's Pheasent Caddis:
    Hook:TMC 2457 12-16...18
    Bead:Copper, sized to match the hook
    Thread:Tan or Brown 8/0 (if you feel your up to it. if not use 6/0)
    Ribbing:Copper wire
    Body:Pheasent tail, tied in by butts, and wrap herl style
    Legs:Pheasent tail tip fibres, tied beard style
    Thorax:Peacock herl

I added the materials list in the order in which you tie them in. It's a nice fly
    but the bead isn't optional, so if you don't have 'em, your stuck 'till ya get some
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em