Rainy day at the vise

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The wife is away on business and I'm on Daddy duty until tonight. Its been raining all day and not much to do so I sat at the vise all day and stocked up for the Stripers...
The conversation tonight will go something like this:
Wife: Did you rake the yard?
Swirl: Nope, it rained all day
Wife: Did you mow the lawn?
Swirl: Nope it rained all day
Wife: Did the baby finish her tropical bird project for school?
Swirl: Nope...
Wife: Why is the garbage full?
Swirl: Its rained all day
Wife: What did you do all day?
Swirl: :icon_roll:icon_redf:icon_roll:icon_redf:icon_roll:icon_redf

Attachments

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I like those Hi-Lows, but where's the flatwings?
And what's that 'mow the lawn' stuff all about ?
That won't be happening at my house for weeks. (not that it won't need it) :icon_mrgr

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Thanks fyshstykr, it wasn't as bad I thought. She got in late ;)

Riptide, the lawn actually needs its first cut already :mad: Those are tyed with craft fur. They have so much action in the water I rarely find the need for a flatwing. Stripers go nuts for them, took me 4 different versions to get them to keep from fowling but they're good now.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Thanks, thats quite a compliment for a newbie like me.
I start 1/2" from the eye and alternate tieing material to the top and bottom of the hook. I tie in flash before each tie on top of the hook.
I found something called craft fur plus, the fibers are 3-4" long. I finish them off with some clear PlastiDip along the bottom from the hook bend to the tail. It keeps the material from fowling around the hook.

P.S. I think the eyes make the fly.

https://www.docsflybox.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=695

Good people and excellent service.

axle27

Reaction score
Nice tie jobs. I gotta get back to the vise......

Cutting lawn? Mine has been done once already...nice to have a teenage son to do it for me....with some instruction.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Nice tie jobs. I gotta get back to the vise......

Cutting lawn? Mine has been done once already...nice to have a teenage son to do it for me....with some instruction.
Thanks, I tried the teenager thing, my 13yr old went through two tanks of gas trying to make the lawn look like the infield at Yankee Stadium. Still can't figure out how they get it to look like a checkerboard.:confused:

axle27

Reaction score
I don't even attempt anything like that. I just want it cut down.

If I had the money, I'd have it all pulled up and have artificial turf put down. I have allergies and I hate mowing grass. The only thing I can say is that it is a good source of exercise (have to push mine, too hilly).

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried the teenager thing, my 13yr old went through two tanks of gas trying to make the lawn look like the infield at Yankee Stadium. Still can't figure out how they get it to look like a checkerboard.:confused:

They use a 'Striping Kit' and cut from different directions. The kit consist of a roller (usually) that is set just a little lower than the cutting deck. The object is to change the direction in which the grass lays after cutting which also changes the way sunlight is reflected off of the blades of grass. That is what gives you the lighter and darker tones.

It can also be done if you change the pitch of the deck. making the back of the cutting deck a quarter inch lower than the front, that way it drags against the grass, thus changing the way it lays.

I own a lawncare company and usually don't bother doing this to any of my lawns, but for ball parks it looks really good.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
They use a 'Striping Kit' and cut from different directions. The kit consist of a roller (usually) that is set just a little lower than the cutting deck. The object is to change the direction in which the grass lays after cutting which also changes the way sunlight is reflected off of the blades of grass. That is what gives you the lighter and darker tones.

It can also be done if you change the pitch of the deck. making the back of the cutting deck a quarter inch lower than the front, that way it drags against the grass, thus changing the way it lays.

I own a lawncare company and usually don't bother doing this to any of my lawns, but for ball parks it looks really good.

Now I HAVE to try lowering the back of my mower. My boys will go nuts if I could pull it off