Is there a limit?

grundy

Reaction score
To how far you can cast without a haul, or shooting line? I've been practicing with a 9' 5wt with 5wt wf-f line. I can cast the line with about 3' of running line past the end of the rod tip. Anymore line than this and I cannot keep my backcast off the grass, because I start to open my stroke too far, but am unable to generate enough speed with a smaller stroke. Maybe I'm about at the limt, and to get more distance will need to start using a haul, or practice shooting line.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just from your post, I can tell that you're swinging your rod in an arc.
You need to have more of a push-pull motion where your reel stays on plain when passing by your ear.
Watch some videos... you'll see

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I shot video this winter where I did a 91' cast that had no haul and stuck to the 10 and 2 stroke. I did use a bit of wrist and late rotation, but I don't think that's cheating to much, and I did it with a fast rod and a long belly line, which was not the right line to try that stunt.

You can actually toss a line pretty far without a haul if you just watch for proper form and don't lazy the rod to much.

Now as I said, that was a stunt. You really should learn to haul. Also, your backcast hitting the grass behind you is probably that you are going well opast 2 o'clock tithe the rod. You may also be waiting to long to go into your forward stroke. A good thing to do is watch your backcast. I have a very hard time because I have wrecked every disc in my neck and looking right is not an easy thing, but if you can, you may want to start doing that.

As a final note, and I tell this to a lot of people, the best toll to find out what you are doing wrong is video. Shoot video of your cast and watch it. If you still can't figure out where you are going wrong, post it where we can see it and we will figure out what you need to fix.
I can cast the line with about 3' of running line past the end of the rod tip.
If you can get that head out and a bit of overhang like you sound like you are saying here, if you put any line speed at all on it it and shoot with that amount out right there, you should be able to get a fair amount of distance.

grundy

Reaction score
Just from your post, I can tell that you're swinging your rod in an arc.
You need to have more of a push-pull motion where your reel stays on plain when passing by your ear.
Watch some videos... you'll see
I know I'm doing it and it drives me nuts! I can get the head of the line out while stopping at 2 O-clock. Much past that and I start to open up. I've been watching vids, but should probably shoot some video of myself. I don't know of anyone near me who flyfishes, so getting help is impractical right now.

Practice was good tonight, but the skeeters drove me out in short order!

B

rockthief

Reaction score
When I am casting poorly I "glue" my elbow to my side. Some rods only want wrist action, some forearm, some want the entire arm. But starting with my elbow to my side helps me to fine each rod's sweets spot. That has helped me with my timing and distance. OP I am curious - does this happen with every rod you cast?

el guia

Reaction score
When I am casting poorly I "glue" my elbow to my side. Some rods only want wrist action, some forearm, some want the entire arm. But starting with my elbow to my side helps me to fine each rod's sweets spot. That has helped me with my timing and distance. OP I am curious - does this happen with every rod you cast?
While practicing on the grass yesterday, I remembered the "glue the elbow"post and gave it a try. The result was significantly tighter loops with less effort. :thumbsup: For me, this is a "keeper" tip. It worked equally well on a 4wt. and an 8 wt. Thanks.

noreaster

Reaction score
Good tip.
Its hard to do this when fighting the long cattails, old fallen trees, and overhanging branches. I usually have to use my whole arm to avoid these hazards. It's like golfing St. Andrews in a windy driving rain.:D
I'd love to fish a good spot some day where I don't have to worry about alders, spruce, willows, cat tails, bulrushes......:) Where's that bucket list thread. :)
To the OP, Lots of great advice above. I am just getting on the sweet spot of a vintage 5wt. 7.5 foot Sage rod that has a replacement tip of a different graphite and tech. It may help your rod sensitivity if you focus more of your body weight on the leg opposite your casting arm. Like 70% of your weight on your left leg if casting with right arm. If too much weight is on your casting arm, this is called double weighting and can throw off your cast.

Jackster

Reaction score
When I am casting poorly I "glue" my elbow to my side.
I have a very hard time envisioning doing this and not throwing wider loops.
If you pin your elbow the cast must pivot around that point. This has to mean that your casting hand swings in a convex arc with the rod tip and line following that arc.
To get a straight tip path of the rod it seems you must lift your elbow on a normal overhead cast.
What am I missing here?