The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: Best way to straighten mono running line?

I've been doing some reading and it looks like I would try to find my best price on some 30 pound Air Flow Miracle Braid if I needed a non kinking shooting line.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I've used mono before... What I did... made a triple surgeons know at both ends. Attached one end to my truck hitch. Then, I attached the other end to my tire iron. Then, I walked the other way . It got the initial stretch into the line. After that, I just kind of tug on the line and get it straight. Please excuse my backwoods method!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM

lake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to behold

I use 40# Berkeley Big Game (I like the bright green color) and stretch it through a piece of rubber that was originally for helping remove tight caps on jars. Been using it for years even on the stiff butt sections of trout leaders. Just don't use it on your thin tippet because it will probably weaken it. Braid just collected too much ice for me and the flyline running lines also just start to abrade a lot after pulling them through iced up guides all the time.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 AM

browntrout5 is on a distinguished road

#30 lb. Berkley Big Game mono works fine with me. Soak it and stretch it but you may have loaded it on the reel wrong to begin with, and that creates coil nightmares. Your fly reel spool should be parallel to the mono spool when you reel it on, like two wheels running in tandem. If you twirl it on off the side of the spool you're screwed. If that's what you did then take off your head and let your mono running line run downstream through some riffles. It should straighten and uncoil in the current. Then reel it back up, re-attach the head and try it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all

Airflo ridge 30lb line is awesome, it is a coated running line on braid so it has very little stretch, very tangle free, and shoots quite nicely.

I also use miracle braid which also does not require stretching, it shoots very good and sounds cool while going thru the guides.

Both of these I also like because they are easier to grip when my hands get numb.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I tried the frog hair.....and moved on.....
I'm with Ard.....integrated running line for best results..

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-18-2017, 09:46 PM

mjkirshner is just really nicemjkirshner is just really nicemjkirshner is just really nicemjkirshner is just really nicemjkirshner is just really nice

I have tried both an integrated line and a shooting head/mono running line on my switch rod, and I prefer the mono line. I tried Rio Slickshooter but replaced it with OPST Lazer. The Rio coils more than the OPST and also sinks, where the Lazer floats. But, if I were on a tight budget, I would try the Berkely Big Game, probably 30 or 50 lb. It is cheap and I have read posts by a lot of guys who say it works as well as the more expensive mono shooting lines.

Maybe another option would be to go to a fly shop and see if they have some old WF fly line they are going to throw out. The running line part is probably in decent shape, so you could cut off the head, attached a braided loop or tie on a mono perfection loop to the running line with a nail knot and use that between your shooting head and your backing. If you luck out, it may have a welded loop on both ends, and you could just reverse it, tie the cut end to the backing, and use the rear loop on the front. You may not have as along a running line as you'd like, but you could probably get 60 feet or more, and it would be better than going straight from the shooting head to the backing.

There may be a flaw in that idea, but if there is, I can't see it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bloomagoo liked this post