Keeping track of leaders

garybrower

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a system for keeping track of leaders. For example, I may go from a better body of water that may call for a 5X 9' leader to one that requires a 4X 7-1/2'. So I take off the 5X....but, short of having a pre-marked baggie, how do I keep from confusing it with other leaders (from earlier, similar situations)? I've thought about some kind of color-code marking up at the loop end? Thoughts?

Gary

Sent from my RAZR via Tapatalk

williamhj

Reaction score
Where do you store used leader? Before I started using furled leaders I just kept the bag it came in and coiled it back up into the labeled bag when I was done.

greg_h

Reaction score
I guess I'm just a tidy kind of guy. Purchased leaders have a label in the baggie, and since I make my own leaders using LeaderCalc, I make my own labels.
So most of the time when I take off a leader I put it back in the baggie in my vest. If a leader becomes sufficiently tangled or cut back that I am not sure of its properties, I put it in a side pocket and later on at home I use my micrometer to measure the tippet end, rebuild the leader and put it (back) in a baggie.
If you make your own it should be easy to put a different coloured mono in the butt or middle of your leaders to distinguish the formula used, but you (I) would still have to use the micrometer to know where to rebuild if it got too chewed up.
If it weren't for the labeled bags I probably couldn't tell mine apart either.

runningfish

Reaction score
Where do you store used leader? Before I started using furled leaders I just kept the bag it came in and coiled it back up into the labeled bag when I was done.
+1 on that, I kept all the envelopes in my leader wallet and I am using labels too. You go to an office depot, get a pricing label, the ones in colors would be great. Coil you used leader and fold the label on the coil, mark it with a pen and voila.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Not sure if this is your answer or not, but I also make my own, and I bought a cheap little case that I think was made for CD's or similar. It has several plastic sleeves in it, in which I place the leaders, and a label identifying the leader & tippet. If I need to change, I 'll simply slip the leader back into the appropriate sleeve.

The exterior of the case is a nylon fabric, & it has zipper around 3 sides.
Dimensions are approx. 4" X 4"

I think I paid about $4 for the case.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Yes, I use a leader wallet and place post-it notes in each sleeve for my twisted leaders. For purchased leaders I just keep the envelope in the sleeve. It's a simple system and keeps everything organized.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I used to roll em up and put them in a small plastic bag (the common size used to sell marabou feathers is a good size). I used a sharpie to label the bag. But the sharpie would rub off the plastic.

So then I started using BLUE masking tape on the bag (stuck really well) and then wrote the leader size on it. I used BLUE for 9' leader. I used YELLOW/ORIGINAL masking tape for 7.5" leaders for quick identification.

Used a rubber band to keep them together.

I'd even take the leaders out of the paper envelopes (which would get wet and then stick, dry and ruin my leaders) and transferred them to my "system" before I used them.

Eventually, it was all too much work to maintain because the bundle of plastic tape labeled bags would get mixed up and I was spending more time shuffling through them. So I broke down and got a leader wallet. It's large enough to hold the leaders in their original packets/sleeves.

The leader wallet packed full of leaders stays in my backpack/slingpack while just 3 or 4 packets stay on the outside or in a chest pocket.

M

mridenour

I use a leader wallet. I put the card from the packaging of the leader in the pockets so that I can see what leader I put inside. Fits in my vest and is soft and doesn't weigh much. Each pouch has a zip-lock on it to keep the leaders from falling out. Simple and easy to use for me.

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a system for keeping track of leaders. For example, I may go from a better body of water that may call for a 5X 9' leader to one that requires a 4X 7-1/2'. So I take off the 5X....but, short of having a pre-marked baggie, how do I keep from confusing it with other leaders (from earlier, similar situations)? I've thought about some kind of color-code marking up at the loop end? Thoughts?

Gary

Gary,

I think I have a system that is cheap and will work for you. I posted it to this thread.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/340379-leader-management-question-2.html

I use 3" X 4" "white block" zip lock bags from Michaels Craft Store. They are $3.29 per 100. Label the bag with a Sharpie for leader length, tippet size, nymphing or dry. Hold the bags together with a rubber band. Simple, cheap, efficient.

If you want a "wallet," staple about 10 of the bags together at the bottom so you have a "flip leader wallet" that you can flip to the correct bag.

garybrower

Reaction score
Thanks all! Some great suggestions. I generally keep the little bags they came in, but if I buy a bag of 3, I'm not so keen on putting a used leader back in the original bags (since it will no longer be 9' or 7-1/2'). And there have been times when I've taken off a really tangled leader, knowing that when I get home with good light and warm(er) fingers I can untangle it.:shades:

Of course the major problem is remembering which leader I have on the rod from the last time I headed out. I think I'll end up developing some kind of color coding (using a sharpie) on the butt-end of the leader, and put some kind of label on the bag (or bag insert) so I don't forget. Age is having its effects!

Thanks!

Gary

xnykid

Reaction score
I use furled leaders from streamsideleaders.com you can pick your own length and color combinations so my short leaders that are light wt are red/black, my short leaders med wt are dun/tan etc. I keep 4 colors on me all the time and can tell you whats on that reel with just a glance. they all come in that little bag with a card in it saying what the wt and length is so I do keep them in the original pouches also. I use 4 ft and 5.5 ft and add 4-5 ft of tippet so it is a very flexible way to fish.

barefoot t

Reaction score
If you are buying tapered leader just put it back in the bag. When I have bags of 3 I put the used one in back and later, at home, I take it out, measure it and add tippet to take it back to near original length. I bought some snap rings like in a binder, and use the rack hole in the lip of the pab to keep them sorted by X factor.

agate

Reaction score
Hi,

Gary

I use a fine point black sharpie to mark all my leaders when I purchase them. for 5X I will mark 5 lines at butt section of the leader so I know it is 5X, I also put it back in the original bag. The length does not matter as measure it to figure out if it is 9 ft. or 7 ft. etc. The length might change after some usage as you add and remove tippet.

I also make loop at butt section so it is easy to change the leaders.

I use reel cases for all reels and spools. In those cases I will have small paper with history , dates with all the leaders used on that fly line. It just keep track of all leaders. When I am fishing on a particular river, stream. I only take few leaders with me , to reduce confusion.

I thought about using the Leader wallet but it was bulky to fit in my sling pack with other stuff.

This is not the perfect system but worked well for me.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've hand tied all my own leaders for just about 25 years now and I keep them in regular old 'snail mail" paper envelopes.
I carry them in an old billfold wallet as they're much less bulky than "official" leader wallets.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I like to put the leader back into the package it came from. The leader insert should tell you what weight / length it is. We just started selling the leader wallets below and are already out of the Olive color. I just ordered more this morning. If you spend the two minutes of time it takes to put the leaders away correctly, it saves much time trying to figure out just what you actually have when you need it most. (when fish are rising)

below is the link to the accessories page where you will find the wallets.

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/shop-cutthroat-furled-leaders/accessories-2013-12-19.html