The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Casting Tip - Try a "C" Cast Pickup

Jason Borger has just put up a slow motion video of a "C' Cast Pickup on his blog. It a great method to both lift a dry off the water and snap water off of the fly so it is ready to be recast.

The top link is Jason's video and the next link is Gary's link about the "C" Cast Pickup. Jason's link is temporary since his blog is undergoing a revamp so I don't know how long the link will be up.

A Quick, Slow-Mo C | Fish, Flies & Water

Gary Borger Blog Archive The C Pickup

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 AM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future
Default Re: Casting Tip - Try a "C" Cast Pickup

Been doing that for quite a while.

Just never knew it had a name. Learn something new every day (I hope).

Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes lake flyer liked this post
Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: Thanks!

I saw a video of the C Cast Pickup earlier this summer and started practicing in the front yard, it is a pretty clever technique.

Likes spm liked this post
Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM

spm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond repute

Good video. I will try this. I have tried doing a semi, half-a**ed, spey cast to dry the fly, i.e. back and forth, horizontally in front of me. The biggest problem I have is little room for back casting in my waters.

Thanks, Silver.
steve
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant future

I always just called that the"waggle". I never did it in polite company though, I thought I would be made fun of.

Maybe I am a better caster than I thought
Thanks Silver

Kev
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, spm, trs liked this post
Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this Italian Style Casting video at 2 min 50 seconds and you will see the "C" cast pickup.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 AM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

I was playing with that pickup a couple years ago in the field after watching a spey caster doing "snake rolls".

I've not used it on the water, but is a good way to get a wide angle change of direction if going towards the left (counter clockwize) for a right-handed caster wielding a powerful rod. The larger the circle, the wider the change of direction.

The backcast can then directed well off to the side rather than straight back on the pickup. You start the pickup in a big counter-clockwise circle and accelerate through the circular motion all the way through and out to your right side.

(added) I'd think it would be most applicable to guys swinging streamers on big waters.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 PM

cab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud of

I was taught that this method was used to avoid the "pop" I (we?) so often get when I (we?) pull back to cast. I was only taught to do what he calls a "small" C, never thought to make it into a sorta snake roll. Another one to file away in the back of my pea- size brain........

Thanks, Silver,
CAB
Old 11-24-2015, 11:23 AM

slowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to behold

Never knew any of that had names. Just stuff I do with the rod. Over the years just kind of did those things. I did learn some Spey techniques over the years to help too, but never thought of the techniques by any names. Just casting.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Casting Tip - Try a "C" Cast Pickup

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Been doing that for quite a while.

Just never knew it had a name. Learn something new every day (I hope).
In 2hander this is very common in tight casting conditions. Keeps your rod tip/line out of those pesky trees. Called a 'Circle Spey' if memory serves.

fae