The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for high wind

Thanks for the clarification. I see the 30 m of line now. I didn't notice it before but I should have.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-30-2016, 08:46 AM

bigspencer has a spectacular aura aboutbigspencer has a spectacular aura aboutbigspencer has a spectacular aura about

All the previous....plus maybe:

1) Go upstream and use a downstream presentation? ..or an across presentation(HaHa!..a reason to practice it!!). ANYTHING to get closer. The wind is creating chop so trout often lose some/most of their window. ..But don't forget to wade stealthfully...just because the wind makes it seem like a zoo above water.

2) Have a hand-tied/pre-fab leader on hand where you've kept its diameter-to-tippet a little heavier...for as long as possible.

3) Pull Out that size heavier WF line on its dedicated spool. Takes a little adjustment in one's controlling the loop...ie don't put a ton of pressure on the top section of your rod...but you never know when you'll need it..till you realize you don't have it. *As many know...different brand lines = different weights, so try picking up that lighter line, that isn't so heavy, in the next size up..in a WF. If your reel spool has capacity issues, simply up off some of its running line and substitute backing = saves you a lot of room.

4) Go heavier in the leader but put on an emerger. Think you'll find that just as many trout will be cruising around, looking for those that are swimming to get to the surface film. On windy days...trout aren't going to clue in as much on wing height..so often the fly's impression = body & tails are what sells...ie Use a less wind-resistent tie...don't worry about anything sparesely tied, trout will see it if its impression looks close to the natural.

Last edited by bigspencer; 04-30-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM

bigspencer has a spectacular aura aboutbigspencer has a spectacular aura aboutbigspencer has a spectacular aura about

Gee I already answered....which, I guess, brings in the additional option of SHUT UP STEVE..Already! ...

Most insect eaters, on windy days, will forego putting the effort into taking anything that has gotten out of the surface film...fwiw...which, on a windy day doesn't take much effort! ...BUT having said that...I'd go anywhere where I wouldn't be at odds directly with the main avenue of the wind, which means wading stealthfully or paddling then anchoring up & across wind. However remember where the lineup of fish, for dinner, will start....ie where is the food coming from...? Figure that out and one can often find a good vantagepoint. Heavy wind produces chop, thus blocking the fish's window from clear sight.

$.01
Likes smcnearn liked this post