The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 PM

freakaccident is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Analyze my cast....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
This was a great read. It feels like I went through these exact pains just yesterday, even though it almost 5 years now. I probably spent 100+ hours casting on the grass in a park before even hitting the water. One day, while casting a piece of yarn at the end of a dock, an old timer approached and gave me amazing advice on how to improve my cast. These guys are doing exactly the same. My cast still looks like garbage, but it catches fish. Keep at it, always strive to improve, and never get discouraged.

As far as your most recent video, I will echo what these guys have said:
1. The shorter your cast, the less arch there should be in the path your rod tip follows. When you start casting LONG distance, that arch will start to come into play but for right now focus on keeping as straight of a path for your rod tip as possible.
2. Focus on that acceleration to a hard stop, pause, then accelerate forward to a hard stop, then lay the line down gently. If you cast all the way forward without the pause and gentle let down, you are going to splash the water and send fish running for the hills.
3. Focus on rhythm and timing, not power. Horsing a fly rod won't do anything but make you tired. Easy to say, hard to learn.

Keep at it, you are doing great. Enjoy the process of your labor, don't focus on the results.
Thanks. I have been fishing a lot. I have even taught my daughters and a couple neighborhood kids how to fly fish. Kids are so easy to teach. With the kids I use this analogy. Using a spinning reel and rod vs a fly reel and rod is like screaming vs singing. They get it. They seem to learn the cast pretty easily. Much more easily than I did it seems.

I am nymphing for trout now. I still bass fish for trout some but my real joy is going for panfish. I LOVE catching big fat bluegill or red ears.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes shaunsquid, wf0 liked this post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM

shaunsquid is a name known to allshaunsquid is a name known to allshaunsquid is a name known to allshaunsquid is a name known to allshaunsquid is a name known to allshaunsquid is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
I am nymphing for trout now. I still bass fish for trout some but my real joy is going for panfish. I LOVE catching big fat bluegill or red ears.
Good luck. Nymphing streams is the hardest part of fly fishing for me. Makes dry flies feel like a walk in the park. Stick with it, and try to learn a lesson every outing.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM

freakaccident is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
Good luck. Nymphing streams is the hardest part of fly fishing for me. Makes dry flies feel like a walk in the park. Stick with it, and try to learn a lesson every outing.
Funny thing. The instructor that taught me nymphing didn't even tell me what he was teaching me and I had no idea until the end of the day when he said "now you know how to nymph and now you can go get those trout at the tailwaters.".

He taught me by using a strike indicator which I have now grown to love using even when fishing for small mouth or rock bass. I learned to use to two strike indicators a couple weekends ago while trout fishing from another guy. Pretty slick to watch one lag up and the strike on the other while nymphing.

I saw some guys doing that new European stuff this past weekend with multiple flies. I am going to try to learn that next.