Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: What is the best floating fly line color?

Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    We need a beaten-dead-horse emoticon.
    Ask and you shall recieve.

2. Likes jpbfly, rccola712 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Hahaha. That's amazing. I think every forum needs an emoticon like that.

+1 on not using fluorescent indicators. Especially on heavily pressured streams I think that fish see a bright orange/yellow/ect. indicator and get skittish. I've started using natural colored indicators because of it as well.

I was fishing with a guide, we had an orange thingamabobber on and strikes were sporadic, we threw on a white and then clear indicator and the number of strikes doubled.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    ~by Tony Blake

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
    ~ Arnold Gingrich

I honestly don't think color of line affects trout. If the shadow from the line crosses them , then they are spooked. If we do the cast right, the fly reaches the trout before anything else anyway. I like the optic green. So I can see the line and know when to mend.

Hey guys this is my first post so I'll try and contribute. In my experience color has no bearing on catching fish, any color seen directly over them be it white to pink will look dark. I use bright orange so it's easy to see and I never have a problem catching fish all day. And with the strike indicator I feel it's the same scenario, I use thingamobobers in every color from white to hot pink, and just the other day I had 3 fish rise and bump my bright pink indacator. I've had them hit my indacator enough that I'll often use a big dry for me indacator, do if they will hit a hot pink ball on top I don't think color of line makes a difference. Those are just my opinions and observations so to each there own I guess. Thanks and keep up all the good topics going it fun reading about all the different areas of fishing.

The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line

Mmmm Interesting responses on this topic. Where did I put my dead horse and stick

Quote Originally Posted by Guest1 View Post
    No good for a smiley.

8. Likes angledangle liked this post
    Blog Entries

In the absence of hard, empirical, unbiased, repeatable data, I will go with the most-appealing-to-me=superstition every time!

I KNOW what the trout sees of the line is mostly a distortion in the mirror surrounding Snell's circle. I KNOW the line appears to be darker to them looking up at it than to me looking down at it. I KNOW the trout see the line color differently than I do due to the difference in our color perception - they see a lot more UV and I see a little more IR. I KNOW a sloppy cast will scare any fish and most animals in the water.

I prefer lighter, earth-tone fly lines because the most-appealing-to-me-superstition is that the best you can hope for is to be seen and not noticed by your quarry.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    The FLIES have it.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12