Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the best floating fly line color?

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    "Color doesn't matter much" EXCEPT when it does!

Here's the deal. Color does matter in some situations. I am really amazed that folks that have not fished in certain situations will make blanket situations about something that they have not experienced. I have not been to New Zealand, but I have talked to Gary Borger about it and he and Jason have been there several times. Jason spent 6 moths there.

Both Gary and New Zealand fly fishing outfitters say bright fly lines spook fish over there. So if you spend $$$ to fly fish over large trout in New Zealand, would you use a bright orange fly line or dye your fly line? Of course not. The difference between not believing and believing is that those who believe color does not matter have not yet experienced a situation where color matter a lot.

I suspect that in a group as large as the members of the NAFFF, there are some of use who have seen trout move away from bright colored indicators like the day glow yellow or orange Thingamabobbers. I also have seen trout try to eat orange strike indicators during or after a Salmon fly hatch. So color can both deter or attract trout.

How about clothing color? Do those who believe fly line color does not matter also believe clothing color does not matter? Probably not. Most of us have fished enough that we KNOW clothing color does matter in how many trout we spook. So why the disconnect or lack of consistency in our beliefs?

I think it is because it matters little to us whether we wear bright or dull colors when we fish but it does matter whether the fly line is easier or harder for us to see. Bright lines make fishing easier. So if we use bright fly lines, cognitive dissonance comes into play. There is the psychological pull to believe that in this case bright fly lines do not matter.

If you are logically consistent, you will either come to the conclusion that yes, bright fly lines spook some of the fish; BUT the ability to better see the line allows you to catch more fish than you lose. OR your will come to the conclusion that bright fly lines lose you more fish than the extra ability to see the lines allow you to catch, and you will change the color of your fly lines. While making that decision, realize that it is not only about the numbers of fish. The reality is that the spookier fish tend to be the larger fish, and the fish you spook with your line color could have been the fish of your trip. That is the logically consistent position. The belief that bright fly lines do not spook some fish is simply wrong in my opinion.

You decide whether I am correct in my reasoning or whether I am wrong.
    Silver,
    I'm not smart enough to say whether your reasoning is correct or not. But, I am smart enough to err on the side of caution. I wear drab colored clothing and use drab colored fly lines. I fish small to medium size rivers and my eyesight is still good enough that I can follow my fly line, if not always the size 26 fly on the other end of it. It is the way I was taught as a kid and it just makes sense to me.

The current issue of Colorado Outdoors has a good article on fish vision.

Thanks,
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

2. Likes rusty 54 liked this post
  3. Default Re: What is the best floating fly line color?

Dave notes that bright line spooking is not only about avoiding casting over the fish you are targeting. You can do that to minimize the effect of a bright line. But how about the fish you do not see and your cast spooks it and that fish spooks the fish you are targeting?

Noted steelhead angler Lani Waller wrote about New Zealand for Rio Fly Lines in New Zealand Fly Fishing Essentials. “Do not bring brightly colored fly lines, they spook fish while you are waving the line back and forth in the air.”
    I'm in complete agreement with that. I've probably seen more fish spooked by line waving in the air, not near the fish, than I've seen spooked by sloppy wading and lining fish combined. I'm not concerned about the color of the line in the water, but I really don't want bright colors flashing in the air (which after all is where most of the fish's predators come from.)

Fly line colour There you all are, in a never ending quest for the invisible leader and tippet, then you throw a bright orange line at them with a bright orange marker float attached, and still catch trout. It should tell you something about trout and more importantly, about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Fly line colour There you all are, in a never ending quest for the invisible leader and tippet, then you throw a bright orange line at them with a bright orange marker float attached, and still catch trout. It should tell you something about trout and more importantly, about yourself.
    I understand the irony you are stating in your post.

Your post also reveals that trout, like all complex living creatures with a brain, show population variance. As such, some are more easily spooked than others. So the fish we catch are those that are susceptible to the methods we use and are not spooked by some methods including bright fly lines that will spook others in the population. That is why there is "beginner's luck" and the saying that "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while".

Personally, I want to use a method that spooks the fewest trout because that method has a statistical advantage over a method that spooks a greater percentage of the population. Since the largest trout got that way by being the spookiest fish, the statistical advantage is in using a method that is not only less likely to spook fewer fish but also spooks fewer large fish.

The point is that we should want to ge good rather than lucky because good fly fishers also get lucky. Strive to be both good and it is amazing how often you get "lucky."
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

6. Thanks bumble54 thanked for this post

I understand the irony you are stating in your post.

Your post also reveals that trout, like all complex living creatures with a brain, show population variance. As such, some are more easily spooked than others. So the fish we catch are those that are susceptible to the methods we use and are not spooked by some methods including bright fly lines that will spook others in the population. That is why there is "beginner's luck" and the saying that "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while".

Personally, I want to use a method that spooks the fewest trout because that method has a statistical advantage over a method that spooks a greater percentage of the population. Since the largest trout got that way by being the spookiest fish, the statistical advantage is in using a method that is not only less likely to spook fewer fish but also spooks fewer large fish.

The point is that we should want to ge good rather than lucky because good fly fishers also get lucky. Strive to be both good and it is amazing how often you get "lucky."
    Perhaps I should have said what I was really getting at, it doesn't matter what colour your line is 90% of the time, the other 10% could be the fish of a lifetime, but drop any colour line over a trout and you will spook it, fine and far off was what my mentor told me, I have endeavoured to ignore that advice ever since and to get as close as possible for better control.

I always false cast away from the target when dry fly fishing, but don't think about it when I occasionally fish a nymph or when I'm casting streamers on a Stillwater. Maybe because I'm not casting to a riser, but it makes sense to always false cast away from the water you are going to present the fly too. Perhaps a bright line would be a good reminder to false cast away from the fish...

I've heard that fish often see the silhouette of objects above them such as a fly or line rather than the color. I suppose it depends on the lighting.
    Keep 'em wet!

9. Likes bumble54 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post

I've heard that fish often see the silhouette of objects above them such as a fly or line rather than the color. I suppose it depends on the lighting.
    When the line is on the water, the line is in silhouette and is seen from below in shadow so regardless of line color, it looks dark. Plus, we try to keep the fly line from floating into the window BEFORE the fly. By the time the fly line is seen in the window, the fish has already taken the fly or refused the fly so the overhead fly line has no effect on whether the targeted fish takes the fly

That is NOT true while the fly line is being cast. While being cast, brighter lines are more visible. Fish don't like anything flying overhead because something moving overhead shouts out PREDATOR. As Bumble as said, a moving fly line overhead spooks fish.

The reason a dull fly line spooks fewer fish is that a fly line that is not cast directly overhead against sky, but rather to the side of the window of the fish, can be moving against a background of trees, cliffs, brush. A dull colored fly line that blends in against the background color in the fish's window is harder for the fish to notice and hence is LESS likely to spook the fish.

Plus the lower in the window the moving object is, the more distorted it is. This distortion effect of Snell's Window plus a camouflaged line aids the fly fisher when both a dull line and a low cast to the side of thee window is performed to deliver a dry fly.

A prudent fly fisher will try not to cast over the fish BUT that does not mean he does not cast over other fish that he has not targeted. These other fish can get spooked and they can spook the targeted fish. Hence, even when the targeted fish is not spooked by the overhead line, a bright line is more likely to spook the fish secondarily.

A more complete discussion of Snell's Window and trout vision is below:

Trout Vision - How Does a Trout catch a Fly?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

11. Likes bumble54 liked this post
  12. Default Re: What is the best floating fly line color?

I have a light blue 9-wt line that I bought a long time ago. More recently I bought a rod (Rock River Rods 8 wt) that is pretty much exactly the same color. Just a coincidence, but they look like they were made for each other. I don't know if the fish care though.

Rock River Rods "Lug" Pro Model Rod

I never really thought about it. But looking at my reels they all have a neutral colored head, the running line is a brighter color. I'm far more concerned with leader length and accuracy.

Denny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123