The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  57
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 02-19-2017, 04:32 PM

iv_wjb will become famous soon enough
Default Stream-side photos of your catch - camera suggestions?

Ok, so, I'm new to this & have really been enjoying the photos of lovely trout exhausted & gasping for air, while lying next to your tackle... Just beautiful!

So, the question is, what are you all using for a camera? Is there a handy, waterproof point and shoot that you all tuck into a vest pocket? Or, do you shoot with that dang camera phone? I swear, it must take me 2 minutes to find the dang camera icon & then the phone slips out of my hand... Therefore, I'd be willing to get a little camera, if there was one that you all found handy.

You thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Best,
Wallace

Last edited by iv_wjb; 02-19-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 02-19-2017, 07:08 PM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stream-side photos of your catch - camera suggestions?

Just about everyone makes a waterproof P&S camera.

There's the Nikon AW100/110/120/130 series that I use.
The Olympus TG series is very popular.
Canon makes a couple, too.

Go to any place that has a decent camera department. They'll usually have at least a few of the ones I mentioned.

Check online for comparison tests. Here's one from last year:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/t...ras-2016-17302

Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes iv_wjb, mcnerney liked this post
Old 02-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Good to know - thanks!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 PM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future

I use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wat...oof+phone+case

My camera is an old iPhone that I have that I have held on to for this reason. If it gets wet or whatever, no big deal. I just enable the wifi when I get home and upload my pics.
Likes mcnerney, karstopo, iv_wjb, gc59 liked this post
Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 PM

rangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant future

Today's water-proof cameras are pretty amazing pieces of engineering. Not only are they water-proof, but most of them are dust-proof, freeze-proof, shock-proof, and crush-proof, making them great for outdoor use.

I've been using Olympus Tough cameras (3) for nearly ten years now, all bought off Ebay as refurbished cameras. Got the second one because it featured better zoom and better macro function. Got the most recent one because I banged the second one off a boulder while rafting some white water. It didn't break, and it still works, but now it's not water-proof. So it's now my dry-land camera.

The most recent versions of the Tough can take some very nice pictures and video; you just have to get out of the way and let them do it.

Another very nice camera is the Pentax WG models.

In the end, you should try to get your hands on a few and see what features you like, and of course do your research, but most of them are going to be perfectly fine.

Hope that helps.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes iv_wjb liked this post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Stream-side photos of your catch - camera suggestions?

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

A lanyard is a good idea too. I left a camera in the weeds last year.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 PM

dillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv_wjb View Post
Ok, so, I'm new to this & have really been enjoying the photos of lovely trout exhausted & gasping for air, while lying next to your tackle... Just beautiful!

So, the question is, what are you all using for a camera? Is there a handy, waterproof point and shoot that you all tuck into a vest pocket? Or, do you shoot with that dang camera phone? I swear, it must take me 2 minutes to find the dang camera icon & then the phone slips out of my hand... Therefore, I'd be willing to get a little camera, if there was one that you all found handy.

You thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Best,
Wallace
Whatever you use, keep 'em wet...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes iv_wjb, triedandproven liked this post
Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 AM

karstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud of

I have had the Olympus tough series. They are great, but will eventually oxidize to non functioning in a marine environment even when rinsed in fresh water. In all fresh water, the Olympus would be a nice option.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr View Post
I use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wat...oof+phone+case

My camera is an old iPhone that I have that I have held on to for this reason. If it gets wet or whatever, no big deal. I just enable the wifi when I get home and upload my pics.
This is a pretty good idea, actually... Thanks! Beats having them collect dust in some box somewhere!

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Today's water-proof cameras are pretty amazing pieces of engineering. Not only are they water-proof, but most of them are dust-proof, freeze-proof, shock-proof, and crush-proof, making them great for outdoor use.

I've been using Olympus Tough cameras (3) for nearly ten years now, all bought off Ebay as refurbished cameras. Got the second one because it featured better zoom and better macro function. Got the most recent one because I banged the second one off a boulder while rafting some white water. It didn't break, and it still works, but now it's not water-proof. So it's now my dry-land camera.

The most recent versions of the Tough can take some very nice pictures and video; you just have to get out of the way and let them do it.

Another very nice camera is the Pentax WG models.

In the end, you should try to get your hands on a few and see what features you like, and of course do your research, but most of them are going to be perfectly fine.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
A lanyard is a good idea too. I left a camera in the weeds last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Whatever you use, keep 'em wet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
I have had the Olympus tough series. They are great, but will eventually oxidize to non functioning in a marine environment even when rinsed in fresh water. In all fresh water, the Olympus would be a nice option.

Looks like the Olympus is the way to go. Many thanks for the suggestions & recommendations!

Admittedly, I'm a Nikon guy (& would probably start there) but, I had heard good things about the Olympus line-up. It's interesting to me that they seem to be the overall choice.

I'll have a look at them at the local dealer & settle on what suits my hand and other preferences. It's really good to know that they are as waterproof as they claim!

Whatever I choose, I'll get a lanyard and keep those beauties wet!

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Used the olympus cameras for nearly 10 yrs....
Got a life case for my phone and all the pics I've posted have been samsung...made my life easier because I don't have to download to a computer to send them out. But just because they are waterproof, they don't float.......

Jim

Bigfly