Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: stock trout help

Downstream of Cherokee Trophy Area. South of town on the Oconaluftee.

North of KOA Campground. 11" bow.

Just north of River Valley Campground.

These next are all in the Trophy Section. One of the bows my nephew caught was just over 20". If you live in the state it might be worth an annual permit for this area. I wouldn't want to have to pay the daily rate for several trips. It's a little steep for that. But lots of fish.

Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Quote Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post
    Definitely need to provide more info.

But, my experience with Cherokee is that squirmy worms work really well. Especially red with brass bead. Juju beatis in red or black with gold wings work really well. Egg patterns and SJ worms. Stone flies on a #12 or #14 long shank worked well. And some scuds in burnt orange. Leach zonkers in dark colors contrasted with bright and some flash too. For egg patterns steel head orange or yellow, both with red yolk worked great.

Those fish up there get a lot of pressure too. Since you stated you're new to the sport, it could be a matter of technique and presentation also. Once the west has frozen and travel becomes an issue I'm planning on a winter trip back up to Cherokee and Dillsboro after the new year. If you want to hook up let me know.

On another quick note, if they're catching them on spinners you might want to consider tight lining some streamers. Especially weighted streamers with bead heads (or cone heads) and some flash.
    This mirrors my experience exactly. Gold rib hares ear with a gold bead head, mop flies and wooly boogers are also stocker killers for me.

3. Likes kevind62 liked this post
    Blog Entries

After seeing those pictures I need to know more about this Cherokee. Please.
    This last spring we had a flood that released thousands of stocker and breeders into the river. The state shocked the stream and retrieved many of the breeders but left a lot of the stockers in the stream. I had a blast fishing terrestrials all summer. Catching dozens of trout in a day. Lately, it has slowed, I think because the seasons are changing (spawn) and they are wising up. My last trip I was catching them on a BWO in size 18 and size 20 Griffith Gnats. I know the larger trout were feeding But I could not get that bite figured out. It's always a challenge. That's why we keep going back.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    After seeing those pictures I need to know more about this Cherokee. Please.
    This last spring we had a flood that released thousands of stocker and breeders into the river. The state shocked the stream and retrieved many of the breeders but left a lot of the stockers in the stream. I had a blast fishing terrestrials all summer. Catching dozens of trout in a day. Lately, it has slowed, I think because the seasons are changing (spawn) and they are wising up. My last trip I was catching them on a BWO in size 18 and size 20 Griffith Gnats. I know the larger trout were feeding But I could not get that bite figured out. It's always a challenge. That's why we keep going back.

Bill
    The Catch & Release Only section of Raven's Fork for me fished best upstream of the bridge just past the school. Less traffic and pressure. Lots of recreational (rafting) activity downstream of the bridge. Still fishable early in the morning but with all the activity during the day fishing gets tougher. There's about a half to 3/4 mile of good fishing from the bridge up to the first campground. That's where the C&R section ends on the upstream part.

If you're looking for bigger fish action might want to try streamers. Wooly boogers are popular up there but I've also done well on slump busters. Then again, most of the fish you see in the pics were caught on nymphs and SJW's.

If you have a drift boat or pontoon, go south of town on the Oconaluftee. Launch in town at the park and drift down. Not a lot of public access points downstream so fishing pressure is minimal on this stretch.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

6. Likes brownbass liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12