The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 PM

diesel99 is on a distinguished road
Default stock trout help

Hello all I'm new to fly fishing but I love it.my question is this I fly fished Cherokee today for about 5 hours non trophy waters and didn't catch anything as usual. But guys were catching them on spinners and corn out of the same holes I was fishing so I know they were in there my question is the reason they were not taking a fly because they are stock fish?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 PM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future
Default Re: stock trout help

You need to provide more info.

What was your rig?

Tippet size?

Fly?

Most likely it could be they were stocked fish, but I've caught plenty of stockers on my fly rod.
Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM

adblouky is on a distinguished road

My S-I-L says stock trout are often fed trout pellets, so they will favor trout pellets on hooks rather than flies. That's been my local experience but I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
stock trout help

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblouky View Post
My S-I-L says stock trout are often fed trout pellets, so they will favor trout pellets on hooks rather than flies. That's been my local experience but I don't know what I'm doing.
I used to work in a trout hatchery and had a lot of opportunity to test that pellet theory.
Hatchery trout are conditioned to react to the sound of many pellets hitting the water at once
They do not react to a single pellet on the water any more than they would a cigarette butt.

They learn quite quickly that aquatic insects are food... with-in a day or so,
Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr View Post
You need to provide more info.

What was your rig?

Tippet size?

Fly?

Most likely it could be they were stocked fish, but I've caught plenty of stockers on my fly rod.
Chances are you were just not fishing where the trout are feeding. I am going to guess you were nymphing. In that case, you probably just didn't set your fly deep enough. You have to get your fly in front of the fish to catch them. That goes for any method you use. Having said that, I have seen trout stockers and wild race across a pool to take an RS2 from a monster trout.

Bill
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM

fishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the rough

I have had days in stocked trout streams where it was super easy and the fish just seemed stupid. They would eat anything that crossed their path and would not spook.

On the other hand, there have been days when I have been completely frustrated and caught nothing on the same water. Stocked trout are still trout and can be pretty tricky especially in high pressure areas like the streams in Cherokee.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

After a few days stockers begin to act like real trout. They can be simple or just as hard as a wild trout to catch after that.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 PM

vamtnbiker has a spectacular aura aboutvamtnbiker has a spectacular aura about

Here in the mid-Atlantic, stocked trout really go for clown flies and bright green mop flies. Give them a try.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

kevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud of

Definitely need to provide more info.

But, my experience with Cherokee is that squirmy worms work really well. Especially red with brass bead. Juju beatis in red or black with gold wings work really well. Egg patterns and SJ worms. Stone flies on a #12 or #14 long shank worked well. And some scuds in burnt orange. Leach zonkers in dark colors contrasted with bright and some flash too. For egg patterns steel head orange or yellow, both with red yolk worked great.

Those fish up there get a lot of pressure too. Since you stated you're new to the sport, it could be a matter of technique and presentation also. Once the west has frozen and travel becomes an issue I'm planning on a winter trip back up to Cherokee and Dillsboro after the new year. If you want to hook up let me know.

On another quick note, if they're catching them on spinners you might want to consider tight lining some streamers. Especially weighted streamers with bead heads (or cone heads) and some flash.

Last edited by kevind62; Today at 01:44 AM.
Old Today, 12:32 AM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
They do not react to a single pellet on the water any more than they would a cigarette butt.,

I've caught several stocker trout (in reservoirs) with cigarette filters stuck in their throats.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey