Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13

Default Extreme Newbie Trying to Figure It Out...

So I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for a couple years now. Been keeping my eye out for good rods and reels for decent price, I'm not a gear snob if I can get a rod and reel that was last year's model for cheaper I'd snatch it. I got extremely lucky this year and snagged an Orvis Helios 3D rod and Hydros SL II reel in a raffle.

So I've been studying up on backing, lines, leaders, and tippets. I've been to a fly fishing course that taught how to cast but I'm looking for good backing and lines that won't break the bank. Currently my goal is to be ready by spring to take a trip up to PA and trout fish up around the Allegheny National Forrest.

What's some good backing and leaders you've used? The pole is 5wt.

2. Likes ia_trouter, ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Extreme Newbie Trying to Figure It Out...

Gdunn

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing.
    Any 20 lb backing will work, for leaders I like Rio and TroutHunter and the furled leaders that Cutthroat Leaders sells (he is a business member here).

Also look around your area to see if there are any fly fishing clubs or Trout Unlimited Chapters, learning to fly fish with a mentor will really speed up your progress in learning the sport.
    Spend some time browsing the forum, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all beginners at one time.
    Also take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, they have some awesome videos on learning to fly fish.
    How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
    There's also a wealth of information on the Orvis Podcasts:
    Fly Fishing Podcasts | Instructional Fly Fish Radio Podcast Lessons - Orvis
    Larry

Blog Entries

Welcome to he forum, gdunn. Lots of knowledgeable people on here, willing to help, so don't be shy about asking questions. We were all beginners at one time.

Nice first rod and reel. That set up should do anything you ask it to do. Like Larry said, find someone to mentor you, so you don't get discouraged, because it can happen.

Good luck,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

5. Likes trs, hairwing530 liked this post

If you're near an Orvis store, I'd think they'd put backing on the reel for you. You might consider Orvis fly line as well, there's a wide variety and it'll come with a satisfaction guarantee that if you don't like it you can return it. While it may be late in the season (?), they also offer free fly fishing classes.

Probably going to sound like an Orivs rep here, but I use their leaders and tippet. Not suggesting that they're better than anything else (though I've been very satisfied) but they're the closest shop to me and it's easy to pop in and grab these things.

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Welcome to the forum! There is enough reading here to keep you busy until spring. As Larry said any 20# backing will be fine on a 5WT trout rod so pick your favorite color. I'd grab a couple cheap tapered leaders. By the time you finish wadding them up and reading here you'll understand what people are referring to. You could maybe grab a 3X 9ft and a 5W 9FT tapered leader for now. 3X is a bit much for trout but you can torment some panfish and bass with it over the winter. It won't wind knot quite so easily while you are practicing. I'm not even touching fly line specifics for now other than to say there are closeout deals most all the time and especially early winter. Do yourself a favor and buy something that originally retailed for no less than $40 and you will be happier IME. The cheapest fly lines are no deal. Somebody else may be along shortly to dispute that statement. I have a few $20 flylines I never use so they were no bargain IMO.
    Last edited by ia_trouter; 09-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdunn View Post
    So I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for a couple years now. Been keeping my eye out for good rods and reels for decent price, I'm not a gear snob if I can get a rod and reel that was last year's model for cheaper I'd snatch it. I got extremely lucky this year and snagged an Orvis Helios 3D rod and Hydros SL II reel in a raffle.

So I've been studying up on backing, lines, leaders, and tippets. I've been to a fly fishing course that taught how to cast but I'm looking for good backing and lines that won't break the bank. Currently my goal is to be ready by spring to take a trip up to PA and trout fish up around the Allegheny National Forrest.

What's some good backing and leaders you've used? The pole is 5wt.
    Read this post on backing:

New to the sport need advice

I suggest you get this line on sale:

Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX Fly Line - Weight Forward, 5wt - Save 59%
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post

Thanks. I appreciate the help so far.. I'll be looking through this.. I'm headed to Florida in October, but I've decided to wait until I'm comfortable with fresh water before I test my fly skills in salt water, and it'll give me all winter to practice..

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post