Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Default Broken Fly Rod Tip

Surprised that it took me almost 50 years to do this, but I got careless with my favorite 3 wt and broke the tip. This is the first time I have ever done this with any type of rod. Need help/advice/suggestions on whether I can fix or salvage the rod.

Thanks in advancerod.jpg

Default Re: Broken Fly Rod Tip

Make and model of fly rod would help.

At the very least contact the company that made the rod. They might be able to fix it or not.
    Mainline the blueline

Cabala's Greenwood 3wt 7'. I bought it as a starter set for my daughter to introduce her to fly fishing. She never got the bug; but I found it to be the perfect bluegill/small bass rod.

Glue a new tip on and see what you got. Cabela's doesn't fix rods as you may know, nor will they likely be able to tell you how to buy a whole new tip section.

Seriously doubt Cabelas will do anything, but you can try them first. Did the rod come with a warranty? If so, how long is the warranty for?

How much was it when you bought it?
    Mainline the blueline

You can pull off the tip-top by heating it up with a lighter.....sand the rod section down and reattach the tip-top. Some very light sandpaper and a glue gun stick and you're back in action. It will be shorter obviously...but still allows you to use it.

Cabelas isn't going to repair, replace the section or give you your money back....those days are long gone I'm afraid. You can ask........maybe they work out a credit towards another rod.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

7. Thanks tankerchief thanked for this post

I had picked up the rod/reel combo to get my daughter introduced to fly fishing; but she never caught the bug. That was about 10-12 years ago. I checked and Cabelas doesn't carry this combo anymore so doubtful I could even find a new section. I will give repairing the tip a try to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will let you know how repair efforts turn out.

A 30 second video is worth a thousand words.......

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

10. Thanks tankerchief thanked for this post
    Likes trs liked this post