Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cork Seal (U-40)??

Does the fly fishing community seal their cork handles?

Last year I started using U-40 on my bass gear. Whether or not it's true, I feel like I'm protecting the cork. Also, it doesn't hurt that it helps keep the cork clean. However, it does have a tendency to darken the filler.

I'm assuming that avid fly fishermen who value craftsmanship would be hesitant to seal the corks. Thus, I'm thinking that I will not seal the cork of an expensive rod if (when) I get one. Thanks

Leon

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Cork Seal (U-40)??

I use it on any rod I make for myself that has any filler in the cork at all. It does darken the cork a tad, but it also helps keep the filler from coming out, and keeps the cork looking good.

3. Default Re: Cork Seal (U-40)??

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes U-40. However, if I spring for an expensive rod I might not use it in case it impacts resale value.

I've used it before. Just a couple coats on a rod. Didn't seem to do anything I could see, but it could have protected the cork. I don't know.
    I've used Tru Oil (Birchwood Casey)on quite a few grips. From just a few coats to a nice semi gloss finish. Same Tru Oil we use on rifle stocks.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I've used Tru-Oil on a couple of grips, and have had great results as well. They were new, and the cork was given a nice honey tone that hasn't changed in years.

I've been using U-40 cork seal for a while now. While it does seem to slightly darken the entire grip, it also keeps the usual hand use darkening of the cork from occurring without lessening the grip-ability of the rod grip. I'm about to sell a used 7-wt. XP rod I obtained (without, however, much cork darkening before I applied U-40), so I'll post here later as to what effect the U-40 cork seal had on the sale.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

At the recommendation of a local builder I have used carnuba paste wax on cork grips. It is often used as a natural wax on wood floors and seems to seal the cork and add a soft finish to it. It will slightly darken the cork and on burl cork the carnuba really brings out the colors.

What am I missing here? No rod I've owned has had a cork problem. I leave the fish juice, blood, sweat and bug dope on them. Much like a vest, I don't want to wash the mojo and memories off. When it's time to sell them I may hit them with Soft Scrub to bring the natural finish and warm feel back. If somehow they get too skanky to stand, a kiss with very fine sandpaper presents a brand new finish.

Something a few people may not know to protect their cork and wraps is to never put a wet or damp rod back in the tube. That turns the tube into a mold and mildew chamber.

9. Likes christianfishn liked this post

Hi Jackster,
    Willie Nelson's guitar has that same mojo, but some don't like it...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    Hi Jackster,
    Willie Nelson's guitar has that same mojo, but some don't like it...
    but you gotta love the sounds two sound holes make!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast