Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  103
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Ruth has taken a liking to the ketchum release. I had not used it in years and she asked if there was a way she could take the fish off without touching or landing it.

2. Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Quote Originally Posted by cochise View Post
    Ruth has taken a liking to the ketchum release. I had not used it in years and she asked if there was a way she could take the fish off without touching or landing it.
    The fish I hook are usually kind enough to unhook themselves before I have to handle them.

3. Likes Bigfly, MarsB liked this post

Except for the few worthy of a hero shot, I simply use barbless hooks and my hemostats to remove the fly while the fish is still in the water. For hero shots, keep the fish wet facing upstream (net or tailed), wet the hands, hold over the water, and return them to the water as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
    Except for the few worthy of a hero shot, I simply use barbless hooks and my hemostats to remove the fly while the fish is still in the water. For hero shots, keep the fish wet facing upstream (net or tailed), wet the hands, hold over the water, and return them to the water as quickly as possible.
    Yes, and in addition the the fish should be held in the water until the photographer says lift, after he is focused and ready to shoot. The angler then raises the fish. Several frames can be shot in a matter of a few seconds. In a proper photo water should be seen dripping off the fish. I will no longer totally remove the fish, but keep it partially submerged. I learned this technique from fishing with Sweetandsalt (a professional fish photographer) and posing with the fish he caught and rods he used. Well, sometimes they were mine...
    Keep 'em wet!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789