Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon vs. Mono Leaders - when to use what

Default Re: Fluorocarbon vs. Mono Leaders - when to use what

I had a thread sometime back that went to mono vs. flouro tippet for dry fly fishing. I can't find the thread. The suggestion was made to use Snake River Mud on your mono tippet. The reasons were it dulled the shine and allowed the tippet to break though (sink just below) the surface tension of the water. This eliminated shadows caused by the tippet and makes the leader to fly connection almost invisible. Using flouro tippet does the same thing without the mud.

Fluoro does the same thing when nymphing. Fluoro is virtually invisible under water, more so than mono.

I have a thread running about tying leaders. One of the questions I just asked is how well a flouro tippet would turn over at the end of a mono leader. Depending on the answer to that question, you could always use flouro over mono. Mono is just less expensive.

There are many on this thread that know more than I. So if I missed something, feel free to correct me.

Todd
    Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

I just switched form Mono to Flouro for nymphing this spring and I noticed the difference right away. It was much tougher to break off the Flouro when you get stuck on the bottom (Less lost flies) & I liked the way it fished.
    As far as more fish, don't know, it's been a tough year here for Trout anyways. I have the Flouro for sub-surface & Mono for the dries.
    I will say it pays to have good quality tackle whenever or however you fish. I started years ago with what I could afford and slowly have upgraded every part of my equipment since. It may not equate to more fish caught but the fishing experience has been more enjoyable for me.
    It's funny to watch somebody lose "a fish of a lifetime" to cheap tackle!
    Trout Unlimited - Ken Lockwood #244

"A bad day at fishing is still better than a good day at work"

On this forum there seems to be two schools of thought on the subject.

One is to use fluoro with the dries so you avoid the "slice of pizza on a string" scenario.

The other is to use mono so you get the maximum amount of flexibility for presentation.

I'd love to see a member poll on this.

I don't see the denser flouro breaking through the surface often enough that I fall into the first group.... but I am far from an expert on the subject.

What's everyone say on this???
    "In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. __________________ In Hell the police are German, the cooks are British, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."

4. Likes ts47 liked this post

All fluoro all the time!

I came to fly fishing from the tuna fishing world where it's no longer even discussed.

All fluoro all the time.
    I take much greater pleasure in admiring the works of nature than those of man.

6. Likes ts47 liked this post

I use Flouro most of the time for subsurface. Actually have moved totally to only using polyleaders in floating, intermediate and fast sinking.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Quote Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
    On this forum there seems to be two schools of thought on the subject.

One is to use fluoro with the dries so you avoid the "slice of pizza on a string" scenario.

The other is to use mono so you get the maximum amount of flexibility for presentation.

I'd love to see a member poll on this.

I don't see the denser flouro breaking through the surface often enough that I fall into the first group.... but I am far from an expert on the subject.

What's everyone say on this???
    Labrador,

Hopefully there will be more of a response to your question. One thought I had that would be the best of both worlds is to use the supple version of Seguar flouro. They have a Grand Max (stiff) and a Grand Max FX that is soft and would give you the drift you want while being virtually invisible to the fish.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    Labrador,

Hopefully there will be more of a response to your question. One thought I had that would be the best of both worlds is to use the supple version of Seguar flouro. They have a Grand Max (stiff) and a Grand Max FX that is soft and would give you the drift you want while being virtually invisible to the fish.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    There's nothing wrong with either philosophy and I can see where each has it's advantages on any given day and/or section of the river. I'm just really interested to see what everyone finds themselves fishing most of the time. As for myself, I've used a lot of FC this year. I believe it has paid for the price difference by the number of flies that I've saved. I use it on everything subsurface and tend to use it on a lot with dries too. I don't prefer it over mono for the dries, I just hate to have to carry 10 different spools of tippet so it wins by default. Probably a cop out on my part, but I don't like carrying more than I need to.
    "In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. __________________ In Hell the police are German, the cooks are British, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."

10. Likes ts47 liked this post

My entire sport trout fishing is to put a sparse, quality imitation of some appropriate stage of mayfly, floating as if unencumbered, in the precise lane of a rising trout. There are numerous components to making this happen; I have written extensively under "fly rods" about employing high line-speed, quick recovering actions facilitating in air and on water line-leader manipulation. In the end-game, when the thorax dun approaches the sipping fish, absolutely no amount, not the smallest curl, of tippet can be in front of the fly. Fly first, period. I doubt it matters what material I'm using for a tippet as long as I can execute this effectively. Supple, low shine mono seems the best in my experience. Today's superior nylon formulations are generally stronger than the smaller dry fly wire hooks I mostly use and I have bent straight more #16 Tiemcos, Gamagatsus, Daicchis, etc. than I have broken off in protracted battles. The stretchable shock absorbing nature of nylon is also a bit of an advantage when slip-striking a sipping trout.

Conversely, and due to costs I do this much less, I am a passionate saltwater flats fisherman. And an early adaptor of fluorocarbon. I have built 2/3 mono and 1/3 flouro leaders for very skinny water where I don't want the sinking properties of flouro to drag on turtle grass. Mostly though I go 100% flouro from my roughly 50# butt to 15# tippet. I use gloves to bang those flouro blood knots home! Low visibility, abrasion resistance and limited stretch when strip-striking are all flouro advantages in the clear tropical water strewn with coral and crusty mangroves. But even without the abundance sharp obstacles I use the same leaders fishing for striped bass on northern flats where the same material properties are applicable...and we do have glacially strewn rock piles here and there too.

12. Likes ts47, hexhatch liked this post

Has anyone noticed a difference in knot strength when using flourocarbon? I know there are some knots that do well with it and some that don't.

Both have advantages and disadvantages for different situations. I like floro. In the smaller weights it doesn't seem to break as often as mono.

One thing that hasn't been taken into account is REAL cost. To me floro is much cheaper. I like P-line floro in the large spools 250 yd spool. I mostly use 4lb so 250 yds costs about $19.

Mono tippet spools are about 27 yds at a cost of $4. So the p-line is equal to about 9 tippet spools for a cost of about $2.11.

The real kicker for me was when I got a bad spool of mono right off the shelf in a reputable fly shop. It broke off with every other fish. The spool had sat around at the wholesale warehouse before being sold.

Mono has a short shelf life and should be bought new every season, and buyers beware because stores still sell the older stuff. So if you didn't use all 30 yds of your tippet before it expires, you probably paid $4 for 10 to 15 yards of line. For example we'll assume 15yds. So 15yds at $4. At that cost 250 yds of mono would cost about $66 compared to floro at $19.

Even if you buy floro on the smaller tippet spools it will come out equal or better in cost because of its long shelf life.

The shelf life makes the cost more affordable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast