Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are You New To Fishing With a Dry Fly?

I dug up my old receipt. It turns out I bought it from the link posted by silvercreek. I bought it in 08, so it was more than 5 years ago. The price did go up. It's $15.00 now for two quarts. I paid $9.00. Not too bad for 6 years.

I might as well order a couple of quarts. I'm almost out.

One thing that always bothered me was the powder leaves a white color to the flies. No matter how much you blow on them. It didn't seem to keep the trout from taking the fly, but it always bothered me anyway.

warning...Be careful with it. Don't breath it, or get it in your eyes. It will come with safety instructions.

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  3. Default Re: Are You New To Fishing With a Dry Fly?

Ard,

Thanks for the great info. Have you found a way to overcome that "slight white tinged coloration". Many of the spring creeks I fish hold spooky trout that have a clear vision and long time to examine the fly. Usually they prefer duller colors, and each time I've used powder desiccants, my fly ends up with a brighter color than I would like. Any tips on reducing/eliminating that brightness?

Thanks!
    "Hatches don't last forever, enjoy them while you can"

Noses Up!

4. Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I honestly never had that problem, I used a 2 step treatment and got rather good at doing it quickly to a drowned fly. The first step was a granular product called Shakzimie I think that's spelled right, then a quick brush off with Frogs Fanny which was a very fine pulverized powder that seemed almost liquefied.

Few grains of the course stuff in the palm of left hand - smash fly into powder until beads of water visibly came out of the materials - then a blow from the lips - then a quick brushing with the little brush from the frogs fanny bottle. Another gust of air from the lips and a couple false casts and they floated like cork. Perhaps they were a bit lighter in tinting from the powder but I remember a lot of instant striks soon as I put the high floating fly back on a feeding lane. I guess you have to decide whether you believe the treatment is a good thing or not but that's how I rolled for years.

Before those dry treatments arrived I used Mucline paste like many others and can say the dry stuff was better at keeping flies afloat.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nosesupflyfishing View Post
    Ard,

Thanks for the great info. Have you found a way to overcome that "slight white tinged coloration". Many of the spring creeks I fish hold spooky trout that have a clear vision and long time to examine the fly. Usually they prefer duller colors, and each time I've used powder desiccants, my fly ends up with a brighter color than I would like. Any tips on reducing/eliminating that brightness?

Thanks!
    I typically use the Loon Top Ride, which also leaves the white tinge on my flies, and I also never have had any issues with strikes after using it. Like Ard, I have had strikes on the very first cast numerous times. Of course, this is on pretty high gradient streams without a lot of time for the trout to observe the fly.

8. Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hcrum87hc View Post
    I typically use the Loon Top Ride, which also leaves the white tinge on my flies, and I also never have had any issues with strikes after using it. Like Ard, I have had strikes on the very first cast numerous times. Of course, this is on pretty high gradient streams without a lot of time for the trout to observe the fly.

Top Ride is a "shake & bake" product. You will find two materials in it. The larger crystals are silica gel desiccant which absorbs water to dry the fly. The white powder is the hydrophobic fumed silica.

You can renew the silica gel by reading the links I posted earlier and then refill with the fumed silica that I described in the links.

I also have not had any problems with the white powder. Shimazaki Dry Shake, which is the same material as Top Ride, comes in a grey color. However, you cannot buy the grey fumed silica in bulk.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12