Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Candle wax on your ferrules?

Do you put anything on your rod's ferrules, so that they join together smoothly and stay in place better when the rod is assembled?
    I know there is stuff you can buy for this. My local fly shop owner told me he just uses high quality candle wax.

What do you think is best?

JP
    We all come from a hundred different places and end up in the same place: standing in a creek, trying to outwit a fish.

Default Re: Candle wax on your ferrules?

Candle wax is all you need.

Buy white birthday candles or a white tea light candle. The you can better see any dirt accumulation and remove the old wax when needed.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post

Sage and St. Croix recommend wax but Winston does not and even hinted they may not honor the warranty if you develop a break at the ferrule and they find wax. There is a bottled liquid compound that I purchased for your ferrules that I cannot readily recall.. I'll dig and report...

5. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Candle wax is all you need.

Buy white birthday candles or a white tea light candle. The you can better see any dirt accumulation and remove the old wax when needed.
    Thanks Silver. I lived in Denmark for a year in the 70s. They put candles on their Christmas trees. I've been doing that for years since and have some high quality Christmas candles from Germany. That's what I'm going to use.

JP
    We all come from a hundred different places and end up in the same place: standing in a creek, trying to outwit a fish.

Orvis and St Croix supply wax with their rods.

It doesn't look or act any different from a bar of paraffin, in my opinion.

Orvis explained somewhere why they want wax on the ferrules. It's so that you can get them farther together. Orvis says that you can get them 1/16" more joined with the wax than without.

Orvis' method is to put the parts together 90° from where you want them, then twist and push to get them where they belong.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

8. Likes N/A, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by racine View Post
    Sage and St. Croix recommend wax but Winston does not and even hinted they may not honor the warranty if you develop a break at the ferrule and they find wax. There is a bottled liquid compound that I purchased for your ferrules that I cannot readily recall.. I'll dig and report...
    That is news to me. See #3 under HOW DO I CARE FOR MY WINSTON ROD?

"With sleeve ferrules, rubbing a little paraffin wax on the male end can help."

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | The Finest Fly Fishing Rods in the World

-------------------------

Some of the links below are old since they are from a previous post but the quotes are accurate:

Silly newbie question

No graphite fly rod manufacturer that I know of has ever said NOt to put paraffin wax on a ferrule. See the Sage, Orvis, Winston, TFO, Echo recommendations below. All either recommend wax or say it is permissible.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/equipment-care.html

"Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function."

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=3697

"Over the season apply ferrule wax (included in all new rods) or regular candle wax to ensure a snug fit. This will greatly reduce your chance of a rod break."

http://www.winstonrods.com/category/...inston/faq.php

http://www.springbrook.ca/images/TFOFLYRODWARRANTY.pdf

"Loose ferrules will also result in breakage. Regularly check the joints throughout the day to ensure they are tight. If they are constantly loosening, apply a very light rub of white candle wax to the male section….. To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended."

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_warranty.php

"Paraffin wax can also be used on the ferrules if needed to ensure a proper fit. "

http://midcurrent.com/experts/which-...rrule-is-best/

"Bartschi (Scott Fly Rod Designer) recommends that internal ferrules be cleaned and waxed periodically to minimize wear."

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/rodclean.php

"Cleaning and Lubricating Glass and Graphite Ferrules… Clean the male portion of the ferrule with a soft cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. Rub the male slide well to remove any dirt or old wax from the surface. Finish by drying the ferrule with a clean, soft cloth. After the alcohol has dried, apply a light coating of white candle wax to the entire surface of the male ferrule."

To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Likes jpgodf, jpbfly, hairwing530 liked this post

I am a frequent user of the stuff, every 3 or 4 fishing days I clean off the old and reapply, helps keep any grit build up from occuring.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

12. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post

Light coat of paraffin and I clean my rods after every outing. On my older rods I apply a very light coat of furniture wax to a clean soft cloth and wipe down the entire rod before it hits the tube. On my new NS II when I picked it up at Thomas & Thomas they told me not to use the wax with this new rod. It has a special clear coating that protects the blank and the wax (to polish the whole rod) is not needed. I forgot the name of the coating.

14. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post

Red face Re: Candle wax on your ferrules?

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    That is news to me. See #3 under HOW DO I CARE FOR MY WINSTON ROD?

-------------------------

Some of the links below are old since they are from a previous post but the quotes are accurate:

Silly newbie question

No graphite fly rod manufacturer that I know of has ever said NOt to put paraffin wax on a ferrule. See the Sage, Orvis, Winston, TFO, Echo recommendations below. All either recommend wax or say it is permissible.

Equipment Care - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing

"Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function."

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=3697

"Over the season apply ferrule wax (included in all new rods) or regular candle wax to ensure a snug fit. This will greatly reduce your chance of a rod break."

http://www.springbrook.ca/images/TFOFLYRODWARRANTY.pdf

"Loose ferrules will also result in breakage. Regularly check the joints throughout the day to ensure they are tight. If they are constantly loosening, apply a very light rub of white candle wax to the male section….. To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended."

Rajeff Sports - Airflo Flylines, Echo Rods, lots of fly-fishing advice

"Paraffin wax can also be used on the ferrules if needed to ensure a proper fit. "

Which Fly Rod Ferrule Is Best? | MidCurrent

"Bartschi (Scott Fly Rod Designer) recommends that internal ferrules be cleaned and waxed periodically to minimize wear."

Fly Rod Cleaning Made Easy - For Beginners - 101, Part 51" FAOL

"Cleaning and Lubricating Glass and Graphite Ferrules… Clean the male portion of the ferrule with a soft cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. Rub the male slide well to remove any dirt or old wax from the surface. Finish by drying the ferrule with a clean, soft cloth. After the alcohol has dried, apply a light coating of white candle wax to the entire surface of the male ferrule."

To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended.
    I stand corrected! I returned a graphite rod to Winston 6 years ago with a cracked female ferrule. The rep advised me NOT to use wax at that time and recommended this liquid formulation. His rational was that wax attracts dirt that can etch the graphite. Okay then it's back to wax...

16. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post

Here's a tip on checking ferrules.

Almost everyone has a slight oval casting motion. A loose ferrule will allow the rod sections to rotate a bit. So if your rod feels a bit less "crisp" in casting, look down the guides to make sure they are still lined up. If they are not, you have a loose ferrule between the two sections that don't line up.

Loose ferrules are a cause of broken fly rods so keep them seated.

Busted! - Technique - American Angler Magazine

5. UNSEATED FERRULES

Another easily avoided rod breaker is an unseated ferrule, which is like a time bomb, says Johnson: “It’s an almost surefire way to break a fly rod.”

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by racine View Post
    I stand corrected! I returned a graphite rod to Winston 6 years ago with a cracked female ferrule. The rep advised me NOT to use wax at that time and recommended this liquid formulation. His rational was that wax attracts dirt that can etch the graphite. Okay then it's back to wax...
    Wax does hold dirt so he is right in a way but wrong in that a greater risk is an unseated ferrule. I doubt the cracked female ferrule was from dirt etching but more or equally likely from a loose ferrule that allowed the male end to "rock" back and forth in the female ferrule. See the post above.

There are some compounds that are specifically made for ferrules so what he said to use may be great. Or use a THIN wax coat on spigot ferrules and clean often.

Also never put sections of a fly rod butt on the ground after taking a rod down or putting a rod together. That is a sure way of getting some dirt on the ferrules.
    Regards,

Silver

18. Likes jpgodf, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast