Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  152
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: I am on the verge of quitting

I don't get out as much as I used to. A couple of times recently I was having problems with my casts and I thought, "Oh no! Something else I can't seem to do any more". Then I discovered I'd missed a line guide when I'd strung the rod. Another time, I found the line had gone under itself between the tip top and the second guide. This would never have happened if I'd done what I tell all new anglers to do when they string the rod: Hold the line against the rod and pull it taut with the other hand. Put a bit of curve in the rod and any "oopses" in the stringing will be evident immediately. Would have saved me a half-days worth of cussing.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

2. Likes karstopo liked this post

Keep your hands very soft - consciously relax them - and let the rod do the work. Itís like chopping wood or using a chefís knife - you learn to let the axe and knife do the work, and your arms will not tire.

Blog Entries

A couple of rods of mine, we have little dust ups every so often. I try to push them around too much and they object to that rough treatment. When Iím kind and gentle with them, they seem to take to that treatment much better. My Echo BAG 6 weight Quickshot is a rod that notorious for this. Itís very temperamental about how I cast it.

Most of my rods, I get in the groove pretty quickly and sort of stay there, That 6 weight Quickshot is a different deal. I might get in a groove for a bit, then it just completely comes of the rails. I havenít nailed down what is exactly going on with me and this rod. I think it does pretty well when itís right, itís just been tougher to stay right. Any other rod I might make a sort of bad cast or two, but can get right back on track with a little adjustment. Hadnít gotten there yet with the 6 weight Quickshot. Not giving up, just going to keep working on it.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

Hopefully, you'll be able to get out more often this year. Sounded like you were very busy and had limited free time. Never, ever give up. The personal reward far outweighs the frustration.
    Here's my limited advice:
    1. never quit
    2. ask your instructor for advice. a good instructor could see the problem quickly and should be happy to help. You paid for a lesson, problems with your
    cast have arisen, and I'm sure he wants you to succeed and let others know how he helped. No-one wants an unhappy customer and his solution and
    your positive comments to others is good for his business and reputation.
    3. videotape yourself casting
    4. relax- flyfishing is rewarding and enjoyable with immeasurable personal satisfaction.
    Things fishermen know about Trout aren't facts, but articles of faith. John Gierach

Blog Entries

Know someone who lives 5 hours from water, never practices knots/casting, and wants a fish when they go fishing.
    I suggested shuffle board might be their sport. HA!

Zaric, I like that you are trying to practice. The majority of fishers do not. Keep at it....Find a pool....
    Hoping since this an old post you have it going on.....

Lets talk roll casting.....I teach this cast before any other because it's so easy and useful.
    The mantra is "slow up, fast down". It helps some people to actually say this out loud.
    First, raise the rod slowly (while keeping your elbow down) to 35 degrees past vertical, STOP. The stop, is key to success.
    Many overhand casters try to maintain momentum, do not do this!!!!
    At this point, look down and make sure you have some line touching the water...2-3 feet is good to start with. Later you can add more line, but start short first. I can roll out 40-60 feet without an issue or effort.
    If you don't have some line touching the water prior to the cast, it will go straight up, not out. (Someone described this, it's a tell tale clue of a blown anchor.) From the stop position, karate chop hard and fast at the water. I have my students aim at the top of a bush or tree on the other bank. Many people who overhand cast dries, aim at the water. Don't do this....... We are trying to open up our loop, not throw darts. Learn to do this on both sides of your body. This is a great cast for windy conditions too. I tell people that the rod it like a flag pole, and the line (like a flag) should always be on the downwind side of the rod. That avoids the common tangle around the rod trick..which is also a good way to nick your rod, so it can break later.....
    Use only one hand to start with, locking off the line under your finger on the corks. When done properly, you can shoot line without hauling.
    This cast is extremely accurate repeatedly, doesn't need a fish spooking false cast, and you stop losing flies in the bushes.
    Win, win, win.......learn it, then don't leave home without it.!
    Have fun!

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 02-09-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

7. Default Re: I am on the verge of quitting

I cast before I buy, I don't adjust to rods, not the way it's supposed to work. It's a tool, I wouldn't buy a hammer that's not up to the job either.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonplugger1 View Post
    I cast before I buy, I don't adjust to rods, not the way it's supposed to work. It's a tool, I wouldn't buy a hammer that's not up to the job either.
    So you only buy one hammer , a really big one I take it. It will after all drive every thing from a fence post to a thumb tack. Sometimes what we say sounds very different to others. I for one, never teach my fly fishing students how to cast, they already know how to cast. I teach them how to interpret the feel of a fly rod. Casting is a generic term and not specific to the fly rod as an accurate instruction of known quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonplugger1 View Post
    So you only buy one hammer , a really big one I take it. It will after all drive every thing from a fence post to a thumb tack. Sometimes what we say sounds very different to others. I for one, never teach my fly fishing students how to cast, they already know how to cast. I teach them how to interpret the feel of a fly rod. Casting is a generic term and not specific to the fly rod as an accurate instruction of known quantity.

Blog Entries

I wonder if the OP ever kept going? This thread is about three years old now.
    FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

11. Likes higby5 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    I wonder if the OP ever kept going? This thread is about three years old now.
    Since he has not logged in since the day he made the OP my guess is he is gone. I'm going to put the thread to rest....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

13. Thanks redietz thanked for this post
    Likes unknownflyman, higby5 liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910