Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Thread: Tip for threading tippet rings.

Default Tip for threading tippet rings.

Hello Folks,

Just in case no-one has come up with this before to help with tying a tippet ring. Use the Lake Products 3 in 1 Knot Tying Tool. It has a feature/magnet that helps you thread your line through the eye of the hook.

Carefully slide one tippet ring onto a table or other flat, level surface. Move the eye threading part of the tool over the ring, making sure that the magnet is right over the ring. The magnet will pull the ring into the threading feature of the tool and align it nicely with the groove where you slide your line through the eye. It is then easy to thread the tippet through the ring. Tie your favorite knot.

Then, holding the tippet line near the ring, it's fairly easy to thread the leader through the ring.

Orvis and Amazon sell the Eye Tie Fly Threader. It might work also.

Harry
    9' 5wt. outfit. Now also a used 9' 8wt outfit.
    Brand new to fly fishing. Full of ridiculous questions. But I want to learn.

2. Likes gc59, brownbass liked this post

Default Re: Tip for threading tippet rings.

I keep my tippet rings on a safety in as most do. I just keep the ring on the tippet ring and thread the tippet through the top ring. The safety pin holds the ring in place. After tying the knot, I slip the ring off the tip of the safety pin.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

The Rio tippet rings I bought come packaged on a snap swivel so, threading the tippet through the ring while still on the swivel should work there also. But, on the knot tying tool, there is a groove to easily push the tippet material into. When you do do, the tippet material is automatically guided right through the ring. This might be easier for some.

5. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  6. Default Re: Tip for threading tippet rings.

Tippet rings IMO are a brilliant solution to a problem that never existed. I can tie a blood knot or double surgeon's knot faster than I can fool with those things.

They belong in the front of the first row in the Useless Gadget Museum. And i know whereof I speak as I have quite a few of the other gizmos on display there -- like the cough suppressor for deer hunting and .... Oh wel!l

ddb

7. Likes harryhh, Idahoflyfishmn, Rip Tide liked this post
    Dislikes englishspringer disliked this post

I live on a small budget and I hate cutting off a bit of my precious leader every time I put on a new tippet. I'm spending a few bucks now on tippet rings in order to save big bucks later.

Harry

9. Likes len s liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    Tippet rings IMO are a brilliant solution to a problem that never existed. I can tie a blood knot or double surgeon's knot faster than I can fool with those things.

They belong in the front of the first row in the Useless Gadget Museum. And i know whereof I speak as I have quite a few of the other gizmos on display there -- like the cough suppressor for deer hunting and .... Oh wel!l

ddb
    Maybe you have not considered all the possible uses for a tippet ring. Perhaps others will consider the way I use tippet ring as valuable and not useless.

Gary Borger uses them to quickly convert his Uni Body George Harvey type dry fly leader to a nymphing leader.

You can convert from a nymphing to a George Harvey dry fly leader by changing the terminal tippet design between dry fly and nymphing set up. I keep the various nymphing section with the second tippet ring coiled and held with a bread wrapper wire tie in separate small zip lock bags. I do the same with the various dry fly tippet sections.

Each front end of the tippets have a perfection loops so I can swap them out with a loop to tippet ring connection. With this system I can quickly to go from a nymphing rig with the proper tippet size to a dry fly rig with the proper tippet size and back again.

Gary Borger >> Blog Archive >> Uni-Body to Harvey Style Leader

I have also found that tippet rings make it possible to quickly switch nymphs. Tie the nymphs on short droppers which end in a perfection loop. Then loop the perfection loop through the tippet ring and do a loop to loop connection. The short dropper keeps the nymph away from the leader and it allows the nymph to have 3 degrees of freedom as it drifts.

The 3 degrees of freedom and why it is important is explained more completely in the post below:

The 3 degrees of freedom in nymphing

If you also put a tippet ring on the point of the tippet, you can loop to loop the bottom nymph of a 2 nymph rig. I can quickly swap out nymphs whenever I want to.

Another benefit is that when fluorocarbon is tied directly to nylon mono, the harder fluorocarbon tends to cut through the mono when the knot is under stress. Making a hybrid nymphing leader with a mono body and fluorocarbon tippet maintains the leader integrity better when the two dissimilar materials are joined. The top nymph dropper can be looped to this upper tippet ring.

The tippet ring also provides a convenient stop for split shot placement.

Lets face it. We sometimes stay with flies because the snipping and retying takes a lot of time. The tippet ring rigging system is a lot easier and preserves the length and integrity of the nymphing leader system
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I use tippet rings because I think it gives my first fly a more realistic presentation. The traditional rig for deeper nymphing has two flies in a line. Whether you tie the second fly off the eye or the bend of the hook, the first fly is 'captive' and tied in. If you allow the first fly to float on its own, it looks more realistic.
    Plus, I pre-tie several set ups before I even leave home. I can change from dry dropper, dry/dry or double nymph to either a completely different set up or switch either of the two flies I use in seconds, without any visual assistance!
    Some of you young whipper snappers won't get that last comment, but you will when you hit 45!!
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

12. Likes harryhh liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    I keep my tippet rings on a safety in as most do. I just keep the ring on the tippet ring and thread the tippet through the top ring. The safety pin holds the ring in place. After tying the knot, I slip the ring off the tip of the safety pin.

Brillant Silver Creek

14. Default Re: Tip for threading tippet rings.

I like the tippet ring as it seems to force the failure of the system to that location when I have snag. I generally have 4x transitioning to 5x at the tippet ring.

I like to tie my top fly on a tag (long end of a triple surgeon), this makes it so much each to swap flies out when I'm trying to figure out what is going to work that day. Rarely has the tag portion created a problem.

I run my trailing fly a bit further way from the top fly, perhaps two feet back which gives me plenty of tippet to swap multiple flies before it needs replacing.