Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Newbie rod / reel / line weight question

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting in the right area. So I just got my first real fly rod (A St. Croix Rio Santo, 9' 5wt) and a new reel (a Lamson Liquid 2). My question is, with this combo, is the reel appropriate to the rod? If so, will FW5F line work on that reel? Last question: What weight and how much backing should I add before the line?

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Last edited by detroitmatt; 11-10-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Default Re: Newbie rod / reel / line weight question

Welcome! yes the WF5F line will work perfectly. You can probably add 100 yards of 20LB backing and be about right on that reel. Have fun!
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmatt View Post
    Last question: What weight and how much backing should I add before the line?

Thanks for your help everyone?
    Use 20 lb dacron backing.

Tie the backing to the back (running line) end of the fly line. Load the reel in reverse - front end of the fly line then the funning line until the running line is 1/4 inch from the top edge of the spool. Cut the running line there.

Now take the running line and fly line off the reel and load it on the reel in the proper order and the fly line will have 1/4 inch of "head space" from the spool edge. This will be enough "head space" to prevent jamming the line against the reel cage.

Lines and reel spools vary and this reverse loading method will guarantee that the amount of backing will be just enough for your reel.

See: Loading a reel

Learn to search the site using google. Place the search terms in front of ":www.theflyfishingforum.com" For example if you search Google for "Loading a reel site:www.theflyfishingforum.com" you get this search:

Loading a reel site:www.theflyfishingforum.com - Google Search
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have that reel loaded with 100 yards of 20-pound dacron backing and a 6 WF (weight forward) line. Depending on what line you bought it may or may not have loops on both ends. Most have a loop at the end you should be fishing with. If not you will have to learn how to tie the Albright knot. Google it. If you bought your outfit at a fly shop they could do all of this for you. Watch while they do it. You may have to do it yourself sometime.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I have that reel loaded with 100 yards of 20-pound dacron backing and a 6 WF (weight forward) line. Depending on what line you bought it may or may not have loops on both ends. Most have a loop at the end you should be fishing with. If not you will have to learn how to tie the Albright knot. Google it. If you bought your outfit at a fly shop they could do all of this for you. Watch while they do it. You may have to do it yourself sometime.

Bill
    Now there's just one more thing for you to learn and you're ready to rig up - tying on tippet to your leader. Google "blood knot" and you'll be all set. Your new tapered leader will soon be noticeably shorter and thicker as you tie on different flies so you have to know how to tie on a new end to that leader or you'll be fishing for trout with a catfish sized line! Ha-ha! Have fun and welcome to fly fishing.

Mark

8. Likes brownbass liked this post
  9. Default Re: Newbie rod / reel / line weight question

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.
    I guess by reading the recommendations that you are getting, you can get a sense of the importance of the fly line and rigging process. I would like to add to this that the fly line is likely the second most important part of your gear. Some would argue that it is the most important part of your gear. Fly lines have become very technical it seems with many choices to match equipment and fishing varieties. The internet tool is a great way of getting familiar with the fly line terms like WF, DT, I, head, belly, tip, etc. However, I would recommend that you visit a reputable nearby fly shop to purchase a fly line. You can learn a great deal from these guys while establishing great fishing connections. Plus, they might allow you to try some different lines with your rod.

10. Likes k_e_v liked this post