Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help a new guy out

I nymph a lot and only naked nymph. Iím sure I regularly miss fish without an indicator, but enjoy casting without one more and can fish a variety of different ways and angles without an indicator. A fish caught without an indicator also counts more than a fish caught with one

Quote Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
    It seems that was the old school way of doing it.
    Well, newer stuff like indicators didn't come along and stick around because they consistently work worse. Indies can definitely have fish catching advantages when used correctly.

Best tip I can give is to hit the water with both and experiment against your own abilities. Sometimes I like to fish nymphs more like streamers on a downstream swing and find doing it without an indy is both productive and fun.

Overall, I catch more with indies, but that not always what I'm going for in terms of entertainment. Sometimes indies can spook so missing a few without them makes up for non-takes with them.

The most important element is to learn bite detection through an indicator, then take it off and see what you can (or can't) see without it. Some presentation angles you won't try often without the indy, but you have to learn what they are through experience.

Never found a shortcut to this one, you just have to do a lot of both and often at 360ļ in moving water in order for the nuances to reveal themselves in time. To me, there's overlap and similarities, but they are two different approaches to plying water.

Blog Entries

I usually nymph on sight...no indicator for that,locate a fish cast your nymph so that it comes in the water vein where the fish is feeding at the right depth,after years of practice you'll see the fish taking your nymph.Not the easiest way but the most exciting for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12