Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1
  1. Default Indicator nymph fishing with a streamer

Have you ever tried fishing a streamer under an indicator, similar to a nymph? I tried it yesterday and it seemed to work pretty well. I cast upstream 45 degrees like I normally do but then I was twitching it on the drift. When it gets across current I worked it like a traditional streamer.

I think one advantage is that you can get less weight down to the bottom, which is always a goal of mine.

2. Likes cerec_cat liked this post

Default Re: Indicator nymph fishing with a streamer

Deadly technique, especially when using streamers that have soft materials that move on their own like rabbit or marabou. I love to use smaller streamers tied on the new jig hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

Often used a big, weighted streamer as a combo weight/topfly. As mentioned above, quite effective.

HTH,
    CAB

6. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

Often do this with a cone head olive bugger with rubber legs. Lots of takes as dead drift and lots on strip retrieve during the swing. That has been particularly effective on stream with a lot of crayfish for early season trout.

Probably would work well with thin mint buggers also.

Don

8. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

I think most of my indicator fishing could be accurately described as “streamer” fishing as I don’t often intentionally imitate many insect forms at the vise. Even when I do, it’s mostly color or a few other attributes of a given forage and never anatomically correct at that. Works really well and although I think of it as nymphing, it never really is from a fly tying perspective.

Rarely find the true dead drift of much use compared to bottom braking or moving faster than current speeds on warm water species, either. I usually strive for a noticeable independence from current to imply living protein and there’s a variety of ways to do so. Any suspended dead drift is mostly a short lived break from the norm, but it does provide a nice form of contrast in movement.

The indy, in addition to being a strike indicator, functions heavily in the presentation as a set point on the surface. In the same water, a greater or shorter distance from the fly gives very different behaviors and presentations both on drifts and strips. I mix it up a lot to see what produces the strike.

Agree on how one can get to bottom with less weight, sometimes it's nice just to stop or mend to let it dive back down there and then proceed with other aspects of the presentation again. Certainly is a versatile approach and serves me well.

10. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    Have you ever tried fishing a streamer under an indicator, similar to a nymph? I tried it yesterday and it seemed to work pretty well. I cast upstream 45 degrees like I normally do but then I was twitching it on the drift. When it gets across current I worked it like a traditional streamer.

I think one advantage is that you can get less weight down to the bottom, which is always a goal of mine.
    Wouldn't the indicator produce more drag on the streamer and prevented from going deep? I rather use a sink tip and feel the big tug.

12. Default Re: Indicator nymph fishing with a streamer

Quote Originally Posted by kayo View Post
    Wouldn't the indicator produce more drag on the streamer and prevented from going deep? I rather use a sink tip and feel the big tug.
    I agree it would add some drag if you don't mend your line. I think an indicator allows you to get down deeper when you're fishing across to upstream and you mend your line to slow the indicator.

13. Default Re: Indicator nymph fishing with a streamer

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Deadly technique, especially when using streamers that have soft materials that move on their own like rabbit or marabou. I love to use smaller streamers tied on the new jig hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree about the jig hooks. That's all I use. Keeps the hook point up, keeps the fly from twisting. I can't figure out why anyone would use a normal hook actually.

14. Default Re: Indicator nymph fishing with a streamer

It definitely works. Likewise, you can also tightline a streamer using euro-nymphing techniques with great results.

15. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post