Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Default Works or not so good

Conversation with club members. And posts about types of threads. Made me think tactics and reasons for them would be intresting.
    Conversation with club members was about stages of fishing. Those incurred in a lifetime. If fishing is more than occasionally over the course of a lifetime. Progressive at different rates. All with direct bearing on amount of fishing. The stages being 1 catching fish on ones own. 2 amount of fish caught. 3 big fish. 4 gets cloudy or can be the 4th & 5th stage. That being trophy fish or not caring. A combination of both, or trophy then not caring. What I mean by not caring. Is, fish become irrelevant.
    I must be somewhere in the last stages. Occasionally something different happens. For the most part fishing is just another day. Though seeing this past year tarpon reach 300 lbs. Has not left my mind.
    Most all my fishing is in saltwater. So I'll start with a couple of techniques. One that works & one some may say doesn't.
    The first I use for baracuda. No matter the size, I love the strike. I throw the fly In front but past a fish if laid up. Strip back into my guesstimate of its strike range. And lift into backcast. Do twice more but instead of lifting 3rd time. Just twitch fly. Better than half the time fly gets slammed. Other half fish swims away. Saves me & fish time. 3 quick casts and fish or move on.
    Started doing similar for snook around floating docks. This needs weed guard. First cast is on dock near edge. Inch off so fly drops to water. One 1' strip away from dock. Lift, backcast, and put fly right back where it was. About a foot from the dock. If there's a snook waiting you'll know shortly.
    Other technique that works for me more than fish. Or being productive in catching fish. Is not so much a technique but fly. I like throwing poppers at reds. Say what you will. I'd rather see a red miss a popper than just catch another red. One of the most memorable reds was about 2-2 1/2'. About, never caught. Missed popper 4 times before seeing me 20' away.

So techniques, for what, and maybe why ?

....... pc

Blog Entries

Default Re: Works or not so good

I do a lot of channel edge fly fishing in the inshore saltwater areas around my home. It's the most productive in terms of sheer numbers of fish caught and produces a great variety of fish. A lot of people locally turn their noses up at this style of saltwater fly fishing as it isn't strictly sight casting (those sight casting opportunities do happen along these channel edges). There's a lot of technique involved in selecting the correctly weighted pattern for the individual spot and conditions that centers on depth, speed of current, and bottom contours/type of structure. Placement of the fly along and over the structure is critical so casting accuracy is a must. It involves a combination of dead drifts and a variety of strips and a sensitivity to know when to employ each. It works year around and in a variety of types of channels like marsh drains, man made canals, natural guts, rivers, creeks, etc. There's nothing blind about it and tiny adjustments to the placement of the cast and drifting/stripping make a world of difference in catching and not catching. I've found most people paddle and motor by these many of these super productive spots or at best make half hearted stabs at fishing them. My friends and I fish them a lot and they use conventional tackle. Conventional tackle probably has the edge on some of the deeper spots and the fly an edge on some of the shallower areas. Water can be clear, semi-clear or muddy and it really doesn't matter all that much. I enjoy searching out these type of spots and then coming up with the right leader and fly combination to exploit the area. I really only enjoy fishing floating line so most of these spots are in less than 6 feet of water, at least where the fish are hanging out. But for a fish every cast type of potential, channel fishing is a good way to go.

Yee, op got long winded.
    Hey all ! You, wanted a thread on tactics. Here's one for any. Fresh or salt. Been more than 20 yrs since I saw a freshwater trout. Remind me of something, I'll post it.
    Doorway, seatrout ?
    Spotted, speckled, whatever you want. All like eating shrimp. Most shrimp patterns, don't catch fish. Unless they are grouped in a hole or holding in bunches just shy of skinny water. Only use one fly now for targeting trout. After years of discarding patterns. One finally clicked with fish. Or one finally clicked in my head. Dumbell eyes, Clouser style is first step. Small amount of white fish hair is tied at bend. Half inch extending past hook & enough to arc to hook eye later. Florescent orange chenille tied in, small ball formed, then tied off. Pushed tight to fish hair. Once I palmered a hackle from here to eyes. But no longer do. Fish hair is spread wide, arched over , tied at hook eye then trimed. Been tying a few strands of sili-legs or similar in clear speckled just behind eye to drap back on each side. Seems to spead up strike.
    Fly is easy. Almost translucent, shrimp color. Orange (imitating egg sac) says here I am. When you put It in a trouts kitchen it eats. Seatrout are homebodies. They never go far. Once a fly is refused or you move a fish. Forget about that one. Your unwanted in his house. Color in fly attracts. As fish move closer, whatever the pace. When motion is detected or seen. Pace become eat It/strike. Keep flies sparse & give them a try.
    Have seen a.lot of patterns. A lot with the egg clusters. Only remember one similar. Couldn't say before or after fly. Idea, or tactic is similar to one used for freshwater trout. Wooly buggers with red heads.... egg sucking leaches I belive they are called.

This came up in convetsation today and reminded me of thread. Thanks, Tom ! C'mon all, always want to learn something new. Doesn't matter what !

........ pc

4. Likes karstopo liked this post

As believer of "Too Long Didn't Read," I'll admit I didn't go through the above posts. So, this may be a repeat.

I have fished more than 50 years, and usually 50 to 100 days a year or more.

I still get a thrill from every little bluegill I catch. I've never sought trophies.

It's the fishing I do ... not the catching.
    Ex-Marine ... Quondam Fidelis

Barbed hooks rule!

6. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a nice shrimp there, pc. I like casting and fishing a shrimp pattern over on this side of the gulf. What inshore predator doesn’t like shrimp?

A Speckled trout spit up the slightly digested shrimp in the photo after I brought it to hand. The shrimp fly is what I was using. Pretty close match, I’d say.

The stomach contents of a redfish. These fish gorge on shrimp when they get the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    As believer of "Too Long Didn't Read," I'll admit I didn't go through the above posts. So, this may be a repeat.

I have fished more than 50 years, and usually 50 to 100 days a year or more.

I still get a thrill from every little bluegill I catch. I've never sought trophies.

It's the fishing I do ... not the catching.
    Any tips or tricks you willing to post ? For bluegill or anything else. Idea of thread. One that works or not. A tactic you enjoy whatever the results.

....... pc

This is a fly I came up with to pull through pads and Kissimmee Grass. I called it "Chell's Panfish Attractor" since it would draw strikes when nothing else was working. It's still my go to fly, and responsible for about 80% or so of my catches.
    Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (1).JPG

Since getting online with pictures, I've been told it's similar to other patterns.
    Fish it anyway you want. Pulled steadily through vegetation, I think it resembles a minnow. Dropped to the bottom, it's more like a small crawfish.
    Ex-Marine ... Quondam Fidelis

Barbed hooks rule!

10. Thanks pnc thanked for this post
    Likes karstopo liked this post