Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  52
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Stop loosing gear!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Dude, I don't that I'd be telling that story in public. I use the windshield wiper as a rod holder only when the vehicle is NOT in motion - like as soon as I get back to it and before putting the rod away. No matter how late you are breaking a rod into pieces only takes a half minute. I'd drive home in my waders and boots before leaving my rod under my wiper for a drive home!
    Haven't done it since! lol. Still see people doing it all the time.

I've since switched to a newer truck with a sliding back window that I use at some times to transport assembled rods.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

2. Likes dean_mt, trs liked this post

........rod and reel taken down, wiped, and stowed first.....no exceptions.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. - Anonymous.

4. Likes Bigfly, Ard liked this post

Shart happens. Look closely to this picture..anyone see anything unusual? Other than my lame attempt at covering the sign.

Momma had no clue...it just happened, thankfully when I was putting it in the hard case I noticed it was missing and we backtracked..Fortunately not to far.

6. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfh245 View Post
    ........rod and reel taken down, wiped, and stowed first.....no exceptions.
    Prevents breaking rods too.....broke my 8wt XP at pyramid...wind blew the door shut on it. Like it was a surprise to me that it might be windy out there....

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Parked in a gravelly expanse along a fine spring creek, an fishing friend disassembled his three piece rod and carefully laid it in the bed of his Subaru Outback. Then he took off bouncing over the terrain. It was his good fortune we were behind him for he had neglected to close his rear hatch and bamboo sections of his Jim Payne littered his escape path. (We collected them in undamaged condition.) Same guy left his Sarcion handmade reel on a picnic table. It was gone but some months latter showed up on eBay and he saw it. Though he yelled loudly at eBay, he was unable to retrieve it...The moral is, close your hatch and do not leave your reels on picnic tables and drive off.

9. Likes dillon, fredaevans, trs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    When I lean my rod against my truck I make sure I lean it against the driver side.

That way there is better chance I will see it if I forget it is there and start to drive off.

If I lean it against the passenger side of my truck all bets are off and there is good chance I will drive off without it and possibly even drive over it in the process.
    I just did this. First such mishap in many years. Luckily it was a cheap reel and a rod I somehow wound up with three of. Now two with an extra tip.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    After one near mishap, I always put my rod on the wind shield
    There's no way you can miss it like that.
    Yup! Learned that the hard way as it cost me two Spey rods and a regular one hander. Now the first thing I do is put the rods in the rack before the key goes into the ignition.

Damned expensive learning curve .....

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

12. Likes trs liked this post

I'd be embarrassed to tell how much stuff I've lost after setting them on the roof, trunk, bed of cars and trucks throughout my youth. When I started fishing later in life I learned it again with a close call with a rod laid across the roof rack on my old Voyager van. I was fortunate that I drove back and found it-undamaged- laying on the road shoulder not far from where I parked. That was when I made it a hard and fast rule: Only set stuff on the hood or inside the ride.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

I usually disassemble my rod and lay it in the pickup bed before stowing it away. If not, I bought one of the magnetic U-shaped goodies to temporarily hold the rod vertically against the left rear fender. So far I haven't been stupid enough to drive off with the rod stuck to the fender.

15. Default Re: Stop loosing gear!

Reminds me of the saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." There is very little excuse for not learning the first time one makes such a mistake. The first graphite rod I made was a beauty and as I headed out to fish with it the very first time, I let it trail behind me through an open screen door. It was just not my normal to be 8-1/2 feet long and the last 6 inches didn't make it through the doorway intact. The manufacturer did send me a new tip section but it didn't quite fit as nicely as the original. Now I always go out tip first if the rod is put together (which is rarely). A good friend lost his Orvis rod & reel by leaving it on top of the car. He didn't even think of it until much too late to go back for it. He reported it lost and amazingly the person who found it returned it to him. #1 - put your name on your gear & #2 - pray that an honest person will find any gear you lose. Be the honest guy if you find someone else's gear...even if it's broken.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast