Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Euro nymphing with a short rod

I like to long-line nymph creeks with a 8' 0wt SPL, using 15-18' leaders.

I start with a tapered 9' 1x leader, add a sighter tapering from 2x to 4x (8-12" ea, blood-knot beads, 2-3' total), tippet ring, then 6' of 5-7x tippet to single #16-20 perdigon, occasionally adding a soft hackle. Grease sighter. Hold it off when you can. Float it when you can't. I feel more confident in detecting takes when it's tight. Using a 0wt line helps with droop and drag at a distance. I connect the leader to line via a knotless zap-a-gap splice for a smooth connection - I do the same for my long french leaders on my longer euro-nymph rods. I'll even use this set up honing my nymphing skills to target super-picky lighting-spitting bluegill in the winter.

2. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

I know guys been doing that for 40 yrs here in WNC and they will use an old automatic fly reel and just spool it with 8lbs mono,big heavy nymphs and 2 or 3 split shot, hold rod high and keep nymphs in touch with bottom.Been effective along time .
    SHANNON

4. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
  5. Default Re: Euro nymphing with a short rod

Quote Originally Posted by wf0 View Post
    I like to long-line nymph creeks with a 8' 0wt SPL, using 15-18' leaders.

I start with a tapered 9' 1x leader, add a sighter tapering from 2x to 4x (8-12" ea, blood-knot beads, 2-3' total), tippet ring, then 6' of 5-7x tippet to single #16-20 perdigon, occasionally adding a soft hackle. Grease sighter. Hold it off when you can. Float it when you can't. I feel more confident in detecting takes when it's tight. Using a 0wt line helps with droop and drag at a distance. I connect the leader to line via a knotless zap-a-gap splice for a smooth connection - I do the same for my long french leaders on my longer euro-nymph rods. I'll even use this set up honing my nymphing skills to target super-picky lighting-spitting bluegill in the winter.
    Do you fish dries with that? I've thought about the knotless splice if I could get a multi-purpose system I was happy with. I hate dealing with the loop to loop connection getting stuck in the tip.

I fish just about everything with it. I'll shorten the sighter and tippet (and usually up a size to 4x) for bigger dries. I also use this setup with pine squirrel leech jigs for big bluegills and bass.

7. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12