Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Euro nymphing with a short rod

I like to long-line nymph creeks with a 8' 0wt SPL, using 15-18' leaders.

I start with a tapered 9' 1x leader, add a sighter tapering from 2x to 4x (8-12" ea, blood-knot beads, 2-3' total), tippet ring, then 6' of 5-7x tippet to single #16-20 perdigon, occasionally adding a soft hackle. Grease sighter. Hold it off when you can. Float it when you can't. I feel more confident in detecting takes when it's tight. Using a 0wt line helps with droop and drag at a distance. I connect the leader to line via a knotless zap-a-gap splice for a smooth connection - I do the same for my long french leaders on my longer euro-nymph rods. I'll even use this set up honing my nymphing skills to target super-picky lighting-spitting bluegill in the winter.

2. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

I know guys been doing that for 40 yrs here in WNC and they will use an old automatic fly reel and just spool it with 8lbs mono,big heavy nymphs and 2 or 3 split shot, hold rod high and keep nymphs in touch with bottom.Been effective along time .
    SHANNON

4. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
    Likes slipshift liked this post
  5. Default Re: Euro nymphing with a short rod

Quote Originally Posted by wf0 View Post
    I like to long-line nymph creeks with a 8' 0wt SPL, using 15-18' leaders.

I start with a tapered 9' 1x leader, add a sighter tapering from 2x to 4x (8-12" ea, blood-knot beads, 2-3' total), tippet ring, then 6' of 5-7x tippet to single #16-20 perdigon, occasionally adding a soft hackle. Grease sighter. Hold it off when you can. Float it when you can't. I feel more confident in detecting takes when it's tight. Using a 0wt line helps with droop and drag at a distance. I connect the leader to line via a knotless zap-a-gap splice for a smooth connection - I do the same for my long french leaders on my longer euro-nymph rods. I'll even use this set up honing my nymphing skills to target super-picky lighting-spitting bluegill in the winter.
    Do you fish dries with that? I've thought about the knotless splice if I could get a multi-purpose system I was happy with. I hate dealing with the loop to loop connection getting stuck in the tip.

I fish just about everything with it. I'll shorten the sighter and tippet (and usually up a size to 4x) for bigger dries. I also use this setup with pine squirrel leech jigs for big bluegills and bass.

7. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    I tied it straight to the line after I saw it in a video that went with the sighter. That's a really good idea to build the sighter into the leader! I have an idea that may work, I'm using a funky leader for my dries, made out of braided spectre line. I think I could tie one or two uni knots with yellow dacron backing at the end of the leader right before the tippet ring.

The "drag" I'm talking about is from the weight of the fly line suspended over the water. One way to visualize it is to imagine casting some floating fly line with a dry fly on still water where you have maybe 10 feet of fly line out past the tip. If you tried to high stick and lift all the line out of the water the fly would start dragging towards you as the line started to sag until it hits the water. The idea is that if you have lighter line you can high stick at a farther distance with the fly dragging back towards you.
    The idea is to tune up one's casts other than a straight line cast......thus having the rod already positioned at a high-stick position as the fly hits the water...without the need to do as little mending as possible, regardless of rod length...
    Leave to the unskilled authors to award a basic casting/mending skill to the anglers across the pond...
    Steve

You are correct Madison .
    It doesn't matter what the rod angle is , if you have regular fly line out past the end of your rod the weight will pull the lighter weight mono towards it thus using mono for the line is the sensible thing to do . I use 30 feet of mono when nymphing and my fly line never gets past the tip .

The reason you see some people fishing straight upstream is because they are fishing one particular seam at a time . When you fish across you are fishing many seams and none for a long time but you do sometimes pick up a strike on the downstream swing . Regards

The Mono Rig | Troutbitten

10. Likes roadkill1948 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I think that the rod length is relative to your water.....I think you need a bigger stream......

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

12. Likes jangles, el jefe liked this post

Madison320,
    Just because many of these newly named fishing techniques are said to be the holy grails....doesn't mean that we don't have to MEND our line anymore!
    Steve

You might want to check out troutbitten.com for a ton of information on fishing streams using a mono rig instead of fly line. There is such a wealth of material there that you might get lost but look for an article titled “Why fly line sucks” and then go from there.

Dom, the guy who writes the content, is located in central Pennsylvania, but his stuff translates into almost any stream situation.

It is really worth putting some time in on that site, especially for someone just getting into using running line instead of fly line for subsurface fishing in streams.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    I tied it straight to the line after I saw it in a video that went with the sighter. That's a really good idea to build the sighter into the leader! I have an idea that may work, I'm using a funky leader for my dries, made out of braided spectre line. I think I could tie one or two uni knots with yellow dacron backing at the end of the leader right before the tippet ring.
    Yes, that will work. A short piece of backing/dental floss/? uni knotted on the leader can be a good indicator. It can be adjusted up and down the leader as needed. If a suspension indicator (bobber) is needed, it can be attached to the uni-knotted indicator tags. Locally it is known as the Jack Miller leader/indicator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast