Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to Tie the Speed Blood Knot

Avoid relying on tools to tie knots! All, except the Nail Knot, are best tied by hand which additionally promotes self reliance.

I'm up to about an 80% success rate tying a blood knot, sans any tools.

For me the hardest part it tightening the four ends.

Even using my teeth and both my hands there always seems to be one free end tangling in space and sometime the knot tightens and sometimes it just pulls through on itself.
    -Rick Allen

Same concept as a dropper loop knot.

Dropper Loop | How to tie the Dropper Loop

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I'm up to about an 80% success rate tying a blood knot, sans any tools.

For me the hardest part it tightening the four ends.

Even using my teeth and both my hands there always seems to be one free end tangling in space and sometime the knot tightens and sometimes it just pulls through on itself.
    They need not be tightened simultaneously. Gently pull two at a time, then snug them up and pull tight on the main line. If the ends come out properly aligned, you're good to go.

5. Likes jangles liked this post

I tie blood knots by hand. The reason is that years ago, there was a scientific test of blood knots in Fly Fisherman Magazine using standardized tension machines and mono to test different ways of tying a blood knot.

These tests reached the following conclusions. A blood knot with less than 5 or more than 7 turns on each side of the knot was weaker than a knot tied with 5-7 turns. Therefore, use 5-7 turns on each side of the knot to get a knot with maximum strength. I think the reason for this was that the knot with less than 5 turns tended to slip and the knot with more than 7 turns did not get a good set.

If you tie together material of different diameters, the "length" of the turn section on each side of the knot will be of different lengths if you use the same number of turns on each side of the knot. The turns using the thinner line will be "shorter". Unless these turn sections are of equal length, the knot will be weaker. So generally you need to make an extra turn with the thinner line to get each "side" of the knot symmetrical and this will lead to the strongest knot. For example when tying 5x to 3 x, make 6 turns of the 5x and 5 turns of the 3x and you will get about equal segments on each side of the knot.

Obviously the speed blood knot always has the same number of turns on each side.

Always lubricate the knot before setting it and pull evenly on the knot including the tag ends.

I did try the knot on the video using a toothpick but I messed up especially with thinner diameter tippet so I went back to what I was used to doing.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

If you make the turns with one tag end and then hold throughthe v it forms. Then wind the other tag end before passing it through the space created in the opposite direction it is much easier and more efficient than trying to pass both tag ends through the space after making all the turns on both sides. Doing it that way may simply be a pain...

I seem to have better luck snugging the knot down if I do it rather quickly.

If I slowly and deliberately try to tighten the knot that is when it seems to pull through on itself.

By doing things quickly you aren't giving the ends enough time unravel.
    -Rick Allen

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I seem to have better luck snugging the knot down if I do it rather quickly.

If I slowly and deliberately try to tighten the knot that is when it seems to pull through on itself.

By doing things quickly you aren't giving the ends enough time unravel.

Me, too. I just try to be sure that mono is wet!
    Tight lines!

10. Likes myt1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    If you make the turns with one tag end and then hold throughthe v it forms. Then wind the other tag end before passing it through the space created in the opposite direction it is much easier and more efficient than trying to pass both tag ends through the space after making all the turns on both sides. Doing it that way may simply be a pain...
    That's what I do too.
    I tried it with the toothpick and dropped the toothpick every time
    Blood knots are hard anyway you do it
    It's all about practice.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes myt1 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12